Cafes

47 posts / 0 new
Last post
Noah Fence's picture
Noah Fence
Apr 18 2016 10:47

When I was in my twenties I used to go to a place called Jims cafe that had 1950's Rock and roll playing constantly. A horrible assault on my delicate musical sensibilities. The breakfast however were absolutely banging. There was a gang of four of us that went every day for around a year and we took turns to pay. Anyways, one guy called Pete usually had the full English No1 which was a regular hearty English breakfast. They also did No2 and No3, No3 being over twice the price of a number one and was simply enormous. The thing was, on the day that it was his turn he would often just had mushrooms on toast but when it was my turn he always had the very expensive No3. We were good mates outside of work long before we even worked together, in fact I got him the job so I didn't think he disliked me. Eventually I asked him why I got stung every time. He said, and this is verbatim; 'you're the forman which makes you a cunt.'
Charming.

Shorty's picture
Shorty
Apr 18 2016 13:19

In Stockholm, Tankekraft (like the Swedish Verso?) has it's own book cafe in Aspudden, which was four tube stops from where I lived, but quite a middle class area. Nice cafe but I'm not sure if everyone who ate and drank there was aware of its radical nature. The base for the cash desk is made up of unsold copies of Hardt & Negri's Multitude grin lol

The Pigeon's picture
The Pigeon
Apr 18 2016 23:24

That's interesting... did they do anything else besides sell books? Was there any sort of specifically radical atmosphere or was it mostly just the books?

I think the whole bookshop and cafe go well together. I remember an anarchist bookcafe in New York called I think Bluestockings. The ambience wasn't as nice as the less radical, but still cool Housing Works bookcafe which had that old library style.

infektfm
Apr 19 2016 19:18

I go to this completely affordable working class cafe called STARBUCKS, I think it might be from Europe somewhere. I love going there after I hit up the progressive food haven WHOLE FOODS

cactus9
Apr 19 2016 21:10

I go to Starbucks sometimes but I know it's wrong.

Recently I have discovered a lovely little cafe near my house, it's not much to look at, I think it's run by a Turkish man, does amazing cheese and onion toasties etc. I have been there a few times recently anyway then one day I took a closer look at the pictures on the wall and one of them is Che Guevara which made me smile.

I went through a brief phrase of liking fancy flat white, sourdough toast cafes but I've got sick of that now.

Fall Back's picture
Fall Back
May 19 2016 13:10
Noah Fence wrote:
When I was in my twenties I used to go to a place called Jims cafe that had 1950's Rock and roll playing constantly. A horrible assault on my delicate musical sensibilities. The breakfast however were absolutely banging. There was a gang of four of us that went every day for around a year and we took turns to pay. Anyways, one guy called Pete usually had the full English No1 which was a regular hearty English breakfast. They also did No2 and No3, No3 being over twice the price of a number one and was simply enormous. The thing was, on the day that it was his turn he would often just had mushrooms on toast but when it was my turn he always had the very expensive No3. We were good mates outside of work long before we even worked together, in fact I got him the job so I didn't think he disliked me. Eventually I asked him why I got stung every time. He said, and this is verbatim; 'you're the forman which makes you a cunt.'
Charming.

Do you have any more tales of Pete, he's fast becoming a latter day folk hero.

Noah Fence's picture
Noah Fence
May 19 2016 15:03
Fall Back wrote:
Noah Fence wrote:
Charming.

Do you have any more tales of Pete, he's fast becoming a latter day folk hero.

Haha, yeah he was a bit special, but then alcoholism can create wonderous elements to the personality as well as the negative ones. He had both in spades. I know there are more stories from the legend of Pete but I'll have to scan my failing memory and get back to you.

fidel gastro
May 19 2016 22:44

If you ever find yourself in Canterbury in Kent, England- then the Veg Box Cafe in Burgate is nice. It's a vegan and veggie place.The food is great, the people are nice- it isn't exactly cheap though.

fidel gastro
May 20 2016 21:46

Slightly off topic, if you go to a Wetherspoons and order a filter coffee, you are entitled to free re-fills up until a certain time (I think it's 2pm).

cactus9
May 21 2016 09:34
fidel gastro wrote:
Slightly off topic, if you go to a Wetherspoons and order a filter coffee, you are entitled to free re-fills up until a certain time (I think it's 2pm).

Wetherspoons coffee is horrible, true fact.

fidel gastro
May 21 2016 13:56
cactus9 wrote:
fidel gastro wrote:

Wetherspoons coffee is horrible, true fact.

Incorrect bullcrap!

Serge Forward's picture
Serge Forward
May 21 2016 14:44

Who goes into Wetherspoons for a coffee? Cheap beer and nosh, understood... but coffee???

Noah Fence's picture
Noah Fence
May 21 2016 14:58
Serge Forward wrote:
Who goes into Wetherspoons for a coffee? Cheap beer and nosh, understood... but coffee???

Who goes in Wetherspoons, period? Isn't it meant for those ghastly working class types?

Edit: oops, wrong site, I thought I was at Liberal.com

cactus9
May 21 2016 15:18
Serge Forward wrote:

The fish and chips are usually good because their flyers are on full blast day in day out.

Schmoopie's picture
Schmoopie
May 21 2016 15:31
Quote:
Who goes in Wetherspoons, period? Isn't it meant for those ghastly working class types?

The last thing I recall about 'Spoons is a hash brown fried in ancient vegetable oil that repeated on me the rest of the day and a kid drugged up on anti-ADHD formula. I won't be going back.

fidel gastro
May 22 2016 09:51
Serge Forward wrote:

I go there for all 3 of those things, and to other places too.