Cafes

47 posts / 0 new
Last post
The Pigeon's picture
The Pigeon
Apr 13 2016 18:56
Cafes

Does anyone have a favorite cafe they frequent? Does it have its own culture? There is one cafe in my town that I go to more often where the owner is frequently sitting around and sometimes working. It's a calm environment. I've met a few acquaintances there.

Noah Fence's picture
Noah Fence
Apr 13 2016 19:22

Where I go there's liberalism in the vegan mayo. Lovely grub, horrible place, deluded middle class activisty clientele plus one anarchist gritting his teeth while waiting for his order.

Steven.'s picture
Steven.
Apr 13 2016 19:36

I quite like the idea of cafes, and I'll go to them if I'm abroad, but in the UK there is no way I'm paying £2 or more for a cup of coffee, when I can make a better one (in most cases) for a few pence.

Serge Forward's picture
Serge Forward
Apr 13 2016 20:03

Round the corner from where I live:

Downvote???? angry Right, who the fuck doesn't like bubble and squeak?

Noah Fence's picture
Noah Fence
Apr 13 2016 21:10

Soz. A slip of the finger. Here, have an upvote by way of an apology.

That said, I won't be visiting you're fave cafe. I'm too middle class.
Hmmm, speaking of which, who says caff, and who says caff-a? I say caff which blows my middle class credentials to shit.

Edit: I removed your down vote and some other low life has gone ad replaced it. Not cricket.

petey
Apr 13 2016 21:13

i have in the past and i miss it alot. nothing around here now, starbucks only.
i even had a bar once, chess sets and magazines on the tables and a hundred bottled beers. owned by a german guy who didn't need the income, he just did it in his retirement to stay sane.

boozemonarchy's picture
boozemonarchy
Apr 13 2016 22:06

Love them myself, particularly when you find one you sort of claim as yours and it feels really good and familiar.

Here is a pic. of the Western Cafe in Bozeman Montana, a pretty popular greasy spoon in the downtown area that I still love -

The Pigeon's picture
The Pigeon
Apr 13 2016 22:12
Noah Fence wrote:
Hmmm, speaking of which, who says caff, and who says caff-a? I say caff which blows my middle class credentials to shit.

I went craycray at about noonish and totes went to my fave caff and got a frap which made me feel fab.

jef costello's picture
jef costello
Apr 13 2016 22:46

Caff or Cafe depends on the type of place it is, but I haven't been to a real caff for a long time. I'm not a fan of cafes because they're expensive and I'm often drinking water so I feel doubly ripped off, and where I live the cafes all have a pretty shit atmosphere. I might have a last drink in my old locals when I am back in England in a few weeks, there's one with a garden that's nice, it's where you take people who're visiting,there's also a nice cafe not too far with good food, there's a lady making fresh pide by the counter.

ajjohnstone
Apr 14 2016 05:48

When in Edinburgh i liked to go to WordPower, buy a book or magazine, and then nip next door to the mosque for lunch. Now greatly expanded but still good value.
http://mosquekitchen.com/

But when i had my dog with me, it was the Forest Cafe (always wondered how the local public health department never cracked down on pets in a food/cooking establishment)
http://blog.theforest.org.uk/cafe

Always meant to get around to dropping in on the Sikh temple for free food but something always distracted me on the way....usually a pub
http://edinburghsikhs.com/Edinburgh-Guru-Nanak-s-Free-Kitchen

commieprincess's picture
commieprincess
Apr 14 2016 15:35

You want a £5 "roast dinner"? You want pierogis, boiled bacon AND calamari? All in one special place? Then you, my friends, need to go to Roses cafe in Kilburn.

Chilli Sauce's picture
Chilli Sauce
Apr 14 2016 15:47
Noah Fence wrote:
Where I go there's liberalism in the vegan mayo. Lovely grub, horrible place, deluded middle class activisty clientele plus one anarchist gritting his teeth while waiting for his order.

Any cafe with vegan cupcakes is good enough for me wink

Noah Fence's picture
Noah Fence
Apr 14 2016 16:01

Cupcakes are counter revolutionary. Vegan cupcakes are counter revolutionary with brass knobs on. Class War, please note the above when next on hipster food joints attack manoeuvres.

Entdinglichung's picture
Entdinglichung
Apr 14 2016 16:03

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Caf%C3%A9_Central

was unfortunately closed when I visited Vienna

Steven.'s picture
Steven.
Apr 14 2016 18:39

Cupcakes are fucking shit.

I say cafe. So goodbye any prole credentials anyone thought I had.

Chilli Sauce's picture
Chilli Sauce
Apr 14 2016 21:41

Do you know what's good for making vegan cupcakes? Avacado.

Anyway, cupcakes suck and vegan cafes, they're pure evil.

Cheesecake on the other hand...

Noah Fence's picture
Noah Fence
Apr 14 2016 22:19
Chilli Sauce wrote:
Do you know what's good for making vegan cupcakes? Avacado.

Anyway, cupcakes suck and vegan cafes, they're pure evil.

Cheesecake on the other hand...

Apparently you can make vegan cheesecake with avocado. Meant to be very good. I won't be trying any though as I belong to the hair shitt school of veganism. No enjoyment allowed other than the glow of feeling superior to desert scoffers.

Chilli Sauce's picture
Chilli Sauce
Apr 14 2016 22:38

My sis makes a wicked vegan cheesecake just using vegan cream cheese, don'cha'know.

Been meaning to try making avacado ice cream for a while now.

The Pigeon's picture
The Pigeon
Apr 15 2016 01:24

Cupcakes or not what makes a good cafe is the ratio of heads to coffee cups and coffee cups to milk and cream... I admit I go bourgie from time to time and lap up a cafe au lait but never, never my friends will I order a latte! But either way some nice cafes people are posting, I'd like to hear some more about how their time passes in these kinds of places.

Auld-bod's picture
Auld-bod
Apr 15 2016 10:37

As a youth I loved a café with a jukebox. With two pals I used to dog off school, and we’d sit for a long as possible nursing a bottle of coke. We were absolutely skint. If the café was empty the guy behind the counter used to ignore us and trip the jukebox so that it played a random selection. It had a beautiful deep sound – what a way to hear The Crickets and Del Shannon!

Serge Forward's picture
Serge Forward
Apr 15 2016 10:55

Memory lane time... the Crickets and Del Shannon... well before my time, Auld Bod wink

As a nipper, I used to go for the pinball machines. For any older Salford tykes on here... the Tudor Cafe in Patricroft, "Popeye's" (everyone called it that but I never knew its real name) in Swinton and a place off Regent Road in Salford called El Matador's - so called because they had a little plastic souvenir-from-Spain bull in the window.

None of this vegan cupcake shite, thank you very much.

Entdinglichung's picture
Entdinglichung
Apr 15 2016 16:09

does anyone know a cafe which serves cupcakes with meat?

Noah Fence's picture
Noah Fence
Apr 15 2016 17:43
Entdinglichung wrote:

Yeah, it's called Libcom Admins HQ Canteen.

jondwhite's picture
jondwhite
Apr 15 2016 21:54

What happened to Firebox in London? Why did it close?

Hieronymous's picture
Hieronymous
Apr 18 2016 13:26

I'm lucky, I'm sitting in a dingy dive of a cafe literally right across from some cliffs perched above the Pacific Ocean in -- an appropriately named town -- Pacifica, two cities south of San Francisco. There isn't a cloud in the sky and I'm sweltering sitting in front of a window taking in the brilliant sun rays.

During migrations, I've even seen whales from these same windows. It's also a block from some cliffside apartments destroyed by recent powerful El Niño swells.

Today I can see container ships sailing into San Francisco Bay, framed by two rocky points along this attractive stretch of coast. On weekends the joint has jazz combos and the food and coffee offerings are pretty cheap, although boring and routine. And thankfully far enough from San Francisco's techno-hipsters to keep it humbly proletarian for the indefinite future.

Some lefties hang out here and I've had random conversations about class struggle when someone has seen me reading some ultra-left text -- or vice versa. Feels like home and I've got to hope that the cliffs keep crumbling and the place stays too unsafe to gentrify.

EDIT: Here's a romantic sunset view of my favorite, Chit Chat Cafe in Pacifica, California:

Auld-bod's picture
Auld-bod
Apr 16 2016 07:13

Hieronymous #25

I may be green with envy of you sitting in sunlight, though I’d never betray it with a ‘down vote’!

libcom's picture
libcom
Apr 17 2016 22:22

admin note: this is a final warning for those users attempting to troll someone by down voting their posts. Down voting is for flagging up abusive or unhelpful posts, or those which breach site posting guidelines. Not for posts of individuals you have personal beef with. Your down votes are anonymous to other users, but not to site admins, so retract your bullying down votes or be banned again.

Noah Fence's picture
Noah Fence
Apr 18 2016 09:55
libcom wrote:
admin note: this is a final warning for those users attempting to troll someone by down voting their posts. Down voting is for flagging up abusive or unhelpful posts, or those which breach site posting guidelines. Not for posts of individuals you have personal beef with. Your down votes are anonymous to other users, but not to site admins, so retract your bullying down votes or be banned again.

I'm intrigued. What's all this about?

Steven.'s picture
Steven.
Apr 18 2016 10:15

We're not going to derail this discussion. Back to cafes…

Entdinglichung's picture
Entdinglichung
Apr 18 2016 10:21
Noah Fence wrote:
Entdinglichung wrote:

would love to go there

Noah Fence's picture
Noah Fence
Apr 18 2016 10:27
Entdinglichung wrote:
Noah Fence wrote:
Entdinglichung wrote:

would love to go there

It's in a secret high reading on the hipstometer East London postcode. I don't know where exactly but it won't be Stoke Newington. No chance of any meaty cupcakes there. Just a bunch of smelly hipster hippies!