DONATE NOW TO HELP UPGRADE LIBCOM.ORG

ASSI?

7 posts / 0 new
Last post
syndicalist
Oct 31 2008 15:16
ASSI?

In the CNT-Vignoles congrees report,
http://libcom.org/forums/news/30th-congress-cnt-france-consolidate-international-solidarity-05102008 I saw mention of the Spanish group ASSI (Acción Social y Sindical Internacionalista). I've not heard of them before and see they a new (founded in May 2008).

Their founding document can be found http://www.assi-assi.org/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=15&Itemid=30 (in spanish only).

ASSI seems to be in the especifismo tradition, if my reading of this statement is correct:

Quote:
ASSI fue fundada en mayo de 2008 en Zaragoza por un grupo de militantes sociales y sindicales de base. Su trabajo parte de una concepción horizontal, participativa y asamblearia de la acción política, desde una perspectiva social integral que no reduce los márgenes del conflicto a los ámbitos sindical o estatal. ASSI es una organización para la acción social y sindical internacionalista, anticapitalista y libertaria.

Basically, they are a group of militants who are active at the base in social and union movements. Their work is based on horizontal conception and participates in the various (workers and social movement) assemblies. They basically want to be at the center of all struggles and not reduced to the margins of those struggles. They are libertarian and they are internationalists.

Aside from this and the few links that appear, I'm at a loss as to who these folks are. If anyone know more about their origins and activities, it'd be great to hear --- either on this forum or privately.

robot's picture
robot
Oct 31 2008 16:59

As far as I understood ASSI is a faction out of a split of the local Zaragoza CGT.

Mark.
Oct 31 2008 20:33

Acción Social y Sindical Internacionalista

There are a couple of comments about them (in Spanish) on this alasbarricadas thread:
http://www.alasbarricadas.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=20&t=37755&st=0&sk=t&sd=a&sid=7585511615aa767a1a0c143a288fb151&start=15

syndicalist
Nov 1 2008 13:06

Hmmm... would they consider themselves "especifista"? Anarchist at its core and working in mass movements as its practice? Or is this a stretch?

Mark.
Nov 1 2008 17:11

dp

Mark.
Nov 1 2008 17:10

There's nothing I've read here that suggests to me that they consider themselves "especifista" (at least in the sense of being platformists or similar) - though I may be missing something. I'm not clear whether they're aiming to organise as a union although I've seen them listed as one. They're talking about combining social and workplace action, but that would also apply to a group like Solfed.

The Declaración de Zaragoza linked to in the o/p seems to be a statement about plans to divert water from the Ebro to drier parts of the country to the south. This is actually a big environmental issue, where I think there are also conflicts between national and regional governments.

syndicalist
Nov 4 2008 13:44
Quote:
JH-There's nothing I've read here that suggests to me that they consider themselves "especifista" (at least in the sense of being platformists or similar) - though I may be missing something.

Yeah, I used to think that "especifismo" was somehow tied into platformism. Some "especifistas" might have some relationship/influence, others not.

I guess the question came to mind in the way they framed their activities: to be involved in social and union movement. As a specifically libertarian organization. Not a union.

Some in the WSA would see themselves in this manner, but with no relationship with platformism, etc.. Not meant as being hostile to platformism either. Just not a tradition or document that some would refer to.

To me, Solfed would be, as we used to say, an anarcho-syndicalist propaganda group. When WSA was in the IWA we would've considered ourselves the same, to a large extent. We never cosnidered ourselves as a union or becoming a union. Always an organization for folks with similiar views to work togtether on projects, solidarity campaigns, assisting members in their on-the-ground efforts and spreading the word.

Anyway, I was just speculating.