DONATE NOW TO HELP UPGRADE LIBCOM.ORG

Armchair Revolutionary

14 posts / 0 new
Last post
Dutschke2612
Jun 18 2012 00:06
Armchair Revolutionary

The capitalist system is continuing to divide the rich and the poor, creating a gulf of tension and hatred. To relieve my aching frustration I think about how I could fix the world which I'm sure people on this website do to. But just thinking, discussing, marching or swimming in front of a boat achieve very little overall. I believe that all peaceful protests have been exhausted and the only way we can achieve equality is illegalism. We'd rob shops, burn down offices and blow up cars all to show our disgust with the system. It would give the cause wider attention and understanding. Why not do it???

proletarian.
Jun 18 2012 03:09

That's a sure fire way to piss people off, get misunderstood and end up in prison or worse.

Serge Forward's picture
Serge Forward
Jun 18 2012 08:19
Dutschke2612 wrote:
We'd rob shops, burn down offices and blow up cars all to show our disgust with the system. It would give the cause wider attention and understanding. Why not do it???

antifaoz's picture
antifaoz
Jun 18 2012 08:36

I believe that the west still has punitive anti-terror laws on the books, Guantamano is still open, black interrogation sites have been relocated and the culture of impunity for torture, war crimes, crimes against humanity and even genocide still applies to western heads of state? So blowing shit up to achieve what precisely? More narcs with worse powers. No thanks, so hold your testosterone a mo...... groucho

Juan Conatz's picture
Juan Conatz
Jun 18 2012 08:49

Anarchists tried this in the 19th Century and it was spectacular failure. 'Rambo' anarchism is not what's up, yo.

JonathanSharp
Jun 29 2012 10:17

I'd say establishing co-operatives and building the foundations of a viable alternative to corporate capitalism would be a better option.

Railyon's picture
Railyon
Jun 29 2012 11:53
JonathanSharp wrote:
a viable alternative to corporate capitalism

As the nitpicker that I am, why not capitalism period?

Is not-corporate capitalism any better?

(protip: can't separate the two)

jojo
Jun 30 2012 02:29
Dutschke2612 wrote:
I believe that all peaceful protests have been exhausted and the only way we can achieve equality is illegalism. We'd rob shops, burn down offices and blow up cars all to show our disgust with the system. It would give the cause wider attention and understanding. Why not do it???

Peaceful protests may have been exhausted because they're nearly always organized legally by the unions, and thus pose no threat to the legality of the bourgeoisie's rule. To show our disgust with the system by resorting to terrorist acts, as advocated by Dutschke, merely allows the police to engage in greater and more violent repression of all workers' struggles, and won't do much to further proper understanding of our proletarian cause which is to get rid of capitalism altogether. The only way we can start to do that is through self-organization outside of the unions, by taking control of our own struggles, and generalizing them to involve as many other workers as possible: including the unemployed, the retired, students and so on. The ruling class will see this as "illegal", but this is the sort of illegalism we need if we're ever to get anywhere.

By the way, what exactly is the "equality" Dutschke says we're trying to achieve? I thought communism was about the right to be unequal! From each according to their talents and abilities, to each according to their needs, and so on.

Railyon's picture
Railyon
Jun 30 2012 07:44
jojo wrote:
By the way, what exactly is the "equality" Dutschke says we're trying to achieve? I thought communism was about the right to be unequal! From each according to their talents and abilities, to each according to their needs, and so on.

I always thought equality when spoken of by communists means equality in relation to the means of production (and appropriation of surplus product), like, classlessness.

To look at communism as inequality, hmm interesting... would make a good basis for an argument against the conservative types who think we want to make all people "equal" with a sledgehammer. Kinda like beating them with their own arguments, innit.

Croy's picture
Croy
Jul 1 2012 11:35
jojo wrote:

I believe you have added that word in some what ? Doesn't that imply some sort of social democracy type meritocracy ?

kot motrozkin
Jul 1 2012 12:12

hey Dutschke2612, what's it like being a cop?

Railyon's picture
Railyon
Jul 1 2012 13:01
the croydonian anarchist wrote:
I believe you have added that word in some what ? Doesn't that imply some sort of social democracy type meritocracy ?

I don't know, talents may be superfluous in this context, but the way you look at it kinda strikes me as similar to the conservative interpretation of "each according to their abilities", which to them means working people to death in labor camps (aka "according to abilities" = maximum effort)

To me his formulation may be a bit redundant but not implying some sort of meritocracy (the soviet slogan "to each according to their work" would be just that)

plasmatelly's picture
plasmatelly
Jul 1 2012 15:09

I can't imagine the OP is genuine.

Harrison
Jul 1 2012 23:04

its someone taking the piss