Melancholy of Resistance's picture
Melancholy of R...
Oct 7 2012 16:06

Sharrock in my libcom! Amazing!

knotwho's picture
knotwho
Oct 8 2012 17:31

FULL ALBUM:

Also, this entire album is great. It's the Hypnotic Brass Ensemble with their father Kelan Philip Cohran, who played with Sun Ra and founded some other art jazz shit.

Entdinglichung's picture
Entdinglichung
Oct 9 2012 08:04

John Tchicai who sadly passed away yesterday:

Arbeiten's picture
Arbeiten
Oct 10 2012 10:49

i listened to Coltrane's Ascension through to the end the other night. kicked my arse. Been listening to a lot of Sun Ra too!

Auld-bod's picture
Auld-bod
Oct 10 2012 18:59

This thread has been very entertaining and enjoyable. Sad to say that in the past Eric Dolphy had been off my radar as I’d only clocked him as a side man – my loss!

In music my taste is predominantly pre-war or with vocals, so Billie Holiday singing with Teddy Wilson or Astrud Gilberto with Stan Getz is my usual type of jazz thing. If I knew how I’d have posted up the cartoon of Harry ‘The Hipster’ Gibson singing, ‘Who put the Benzedrine in Mrs. Murphy’s Ovaltine?’

jef costello's picture
jef costello
Oct 11 2012 20:22

I have to second Serge Forward's choice of Art Blakey's Moanin' one of my all time favourite albums.
There's some great stuff on here, wil listen to more when I get the chance.
I love gypsy jazz, loads of people in Paris play so I used to listen to it in bars all the time.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DY0FF4iR9Cw
http://youtu.be/9CDoJFmdFgA
These guys do gypsy jazz with lots of russian influences, I've seen them a couple of times, well worth a watch.
http://www.myspace.com/opus4swing
Jacques Loussier playing Bach is worth a listen.
I remember watching Ken Burns' Jazz when I'd get home from the pub after work years ago. Aside from Wynton MArsalis being a dick and the fact that you didn't get to hear much of the music I enjoyed it. I've got too much weird jazz from the net and not listened to enough of the classics.

omen
Oct 11 2012 20:57

Some "white man" music just for revol:

Apologies to everyone else.

xslavearcx's picture
xslavearcx
Oct 11 2012 23:06

sometimes white guys appropriating black culture aint a bad thing. Level 42 is a demonstration of that style.

xslavearcx's picture
xslavearcx
Oct 11 2012 23:08

hmm for me its all about the

chic corea - especially return to forever stuff
mahavishnu orchestra
level 42 (for real - early stuff did sound a bit return to foreverish)

and thats about it.... never really progressed beyond my dads record collection

Auld-bod's picture
Auld-bod
Oct 12 2012 10:13

I think revol was joking when he inferred jazz was an exclusive product of black culture. The issue of race and culture is never straight forward and whenever someone identifies one too closely with the other, ‘exceptions’ or ‘cultural interactions’ abound.

In ‘The Fabulous Fives’ (an interesting history of The Original Dixieland Jazz Band, The Louisiana Five, etc.) Horst H. Lange in the first part of the Forward boldly states:

Quote:
Whether jazz is of white or black origin is a question which still seems to occupy many jazz lovers. However, if we ignore the wild speculations which are to be found in jazz literature, we are left with the following solid facts:
1. Hardly any trace of the ‘negro idiom’ is to be found in early recorded jazz music, which clearly derives from the European school of music in both melody and rhythm, at least until 1922/23.
2. The very first band to have played ‘Jass’ was the ODJB (a statement backed not only by the recorded evidence, but by other documents, articles and statements by musicians of the period 1916-1920), and not only were they the first, they were alone on the scene for close on two years until other bands tried to catch on.
3. All the early white copyists of the ODJB, both the important ones like Earl Fuller’s Jazz Band, Original Memphis Five and Louisiana Five and their followers, the New Orleans Jazz Band, Original Indiana Five, Original Georgia Five and so on, were musically far superior to any Negro band of the same period, even those attempting to play in the ODJB manner.

The blues is, in fact, the only true Negro music, and black bands only found their own brand of jazz after 1920. It has been common to dismiss coloured bands like those of Wilber Sweatman, W.C. Handy, Ford Dabney, Noble Sissle, Eubie Blake, etc. as not being jazz bands at all, because they failed to fit into the picture painted by the fantasy jazz histories. They are all, of course, ‘Northern’ jazz bands, not the legendary ‘New Orleans’ jazz bands, because at that time there were no jazz bands, either white or black, in New Orleans.

(The Fabulous Fives, revised edition, Storyville, 1978)

I do not agree with his eccentric opinions regarding the ‘white’ origins of jazz (nether did the editor of Storyville magazine), however I think the historical evidence indicates a heavy white involvement with the music from it’s evolution from ragtime.

The above comment on ‘the blues’ is bizarre and I’d recommend to anyone interested in the complex relationship between white and black folk music traditions to try and get a hold of Tony Russell’s super book ‘Blacks Whites and Blues’ (Studio Vista, 1970).

Arbeiten's picture
Arbeiten
Oct 12 2012 10:51

There is a good film here The Cry of Jazz. Set in a mixed race party where there is an argument about white and black people in jazz. I think it is fairly good (even with it's 1950s shite acting). Also, Sun Ra does the music grin.

Cecil McBee (killer bassist) is a bit less black and white [sic] about it.

proletarian.
Oct 16 2012 14:51