Advice for seeking psychotherapy

13 posts / 0 new
Last post
worksux
Dec 16 2013 06:53
Advice for seeking psychotherapy

One of my friends might be showing signs of DPD (dependent personality disorder) and will probably be seeking psychotherapy for treatment. Has any here or know someone who has gone through the process of psychotherapy (personality disorders, etc..)?

Noah Fence's picture
Noah Fence
Dec 16 2013 12:21

UK?

worksux
Dec 16 2013 16:28

US actually, why?

Fleur
Dec 16 2013 17:28

Sent you a PM.

Noah Fence's picture
Noah Fence
Dec 16 2013 17:48
Quote:
US actually, why?

Well, I have experience in the UK but from what I know of it healthcare is very different in the USA so I'd probably be no use.
FER will no doubt help. Good luck.

worksux
Dec 16 2013 22:38

For some reason the messenger won't let me reply to fleurs PM.

Webby: What differences in treatment would I encounter in the USA vs. UK if you had to guess?

Fleur
Dec 16 2013 23:05

OK, in that case, but I'm not doing any heavy duty personal stuff in a public forum.
I did psychotherapy for long term depression and it really helped. But (and it's a big but) you have to be ready to do it, it's not easy and not a quick fix it. Some people start and walk away because it can be quite traumatic, you're doing the work yourself, with the therapist helping you navigate it.
I don't know about specific differences between the UK and the US, but there are a number of different schools/systems of therapy and your best bet would to be to get a referral from a physician to a therapist, depending on the mental health issue involved.
Try again with the PM, if you have any questions, or else I'll try to answer you in the forum but I'm not willing to discuss any personal specifics. I did find it very worthwhile, but it's not a good fit for everyone.

Rats's picture
Rats
Dec 17 2013 01:08

I agree that it's something your friend should take time to prepare for.

Noah Fence's picture
Noah Fence
Dec 17 2013 04:32

Sorry Worksux, I misunderstood your question. I'm only in a position to share my experience as a carer in the process of finding treatment, using an advocate etc. I would not like to comment on therapy itself as I have never been the subject of it.

worksux
Dec 17 2013 06:16

Thanks fleur, and I don't think anyone expects you to divulge very personal info on a public forum. I will PM you once the admin or whomever can help out.

Webby: No problem, thanks anyways.

cresspot's picture
cresspot
Dec 17 2013 06:36

Derive is a Situationist palliative to mental illness...

jef costello's picture
jef costello
Dec 17 2013 07:01
fleurnoire-et-rouge wrote:
Some people start and walk away because it can be quite traumatic, you're doing the work yourself, with the therapist helping you navigate it.
...I did find it very worthwhile, but it's not a good fit for everyone.

Well put.

Chilli Sauce's picture
Chilli Sauce
Dec 17 2013 11:04

Hi worksux,

Hope your friend is doing okay. There are a few organisations in the US that might be helpful, especially if your friend has an interest in radical politics. Off the top of my head, maybe check out the Icarus Project:

http://www.theicarusproject.net/

Since they're specifically based in the US, they'll be a good source for letting you and your friend what to expect.

Also, there are lots of good people on libcom with experience in this sort of thing and I know they're happy to share. Please feel free to ask questions and send PMs.

Good luck.