DONATE NOW TO HELP UPGRADE LIBCOM.ORG

Accounts / analyses of structural issues in revolutionary organisations with full timers

4 posts / 0 new
Last post
Harrison
Feb 16 2012 01:30
Accounts / analyses of structural issues in revolutionary organisations with full timers

Just wondering if there have been any critical analyses of the role full time organisers have played in various bolshevik (or non-bolshevik) organisations. I've read a few libcom threads about it, but i'm looking for actual texts.

The obvious case seems to be the British SWP, which i assume acts the way it does due to it's desire to recruit and gain direct debits for the sake of maintaining it's income for the full timers who control the organisation.

The historical examples i can think of (that i've read people allude to in libcom posts) might also be the CNT toward the end of the Spanish Civil War, and the AAUE's criticisms of the KAPD.

RedEd's picture
RedEd
Feb 16 2012 03:13

ignore this

Juan Conatz's picture
Juan Conatz
Feb 16 2012 03:29

Not sure if its ever been analyzed but the early IWW relied heavy on full timers. Tresca, Haywood, Gurley Flynn, etc etc weren't exactly factory workers...

Puzzled_individual's picture
Puzzled_individual
Feb 18 2012 04:25

Might be worth checking the SPGB website? They have some critical, if dated, articles about the SWP i've seen, including historical aspects of it as a group.

Also have you considered the implications of Leninist parties in creating 'professional revolutionaries'? I would argue that they specifically aim to create a cult of 'professional revolutionaries' through the rigorous schedule of their activities, specifically aimed at recruiting people to X party.