DONATE NOW TO HELP UPGRADE LIBCOM.ORG

Right er... jobs then

23 posts / 0 new
Last post
Rob Ray's picture
Rob Ray
Mar 11 2006 14:31
Right er... jobs then

Best get started then, list of potential jobs we need people for in no partiular order for the paper to sort itself out:

- Marketers/publishers (need maybe a couple for the moment prepared to ring up radical bookshops, newsagents, small-print-run distributors etc and get em to handle some of the load we have spare each issue)

- Distributors (need maybe a couple to stuff envelopes, contact the bookshop guy wth the big hair cos he won't contact you, this being a test to see if you can actually drag yourself out of bed long enough to do the thing proactively and on time and not need shouting at)

- Accounts boffin (need at least one trustworthy type to go into the office and sort out subs, invoices and anything else money related)

- Journalists (erm, one in every town, one in every industry, preferably trained on how to write news, plus experts in policy areas like health, pensions, ID cards etc)

- Commissioning eds (we've got a couple who I'm tryig to organise atm, but more would be appreciated)

- editors (sort of, mainly this means people who know a news agenda when they're slapped round the face with it and can allocate, cut down and generally manipulate text, and decide what is and is not suitable for each page by distinguishing comment from fact and lible from exclusive - MUST be able to work reliably).

RPG
Mar 11 2006 17:21

Hi - is there stuff that could be done (other than writing) to support the paper if you can't get into the shop (ie., from home)?

It would also be good if the eds could post on here topics that they would like written (as used to happen on the email list). For example I have been thinking I really should write something about what is going on in the NHS but don't want to duplicate other people's work.

Rob Ray's picture
Rob Ray
Mar 11 2006 17:49

Sure can (though obviously the news agenda won't be ready until quite late on in the cycle, and won't be giving away much on an open forum). On NHS stuff, we could indeed do with someone experting themselves in the field who could then do regular updates (kind of like I've been doing with pensions), and perhaps supplement them with the odd feature to work on what all this information actually means.

As far as news for this next issue goes, I won't be going through all the news sources til monday night probly, then a news agenda will probly be sorted for Tuesday. I had been putting that stuff on the email list, but as you say it's a bit dead now. Problem with doing it here of course is there's beaky sods who'll be reading the basic stuff before it's fully written wink.

Pilgrim
Mar 11 2006 18:21

I'm game for doing some writing for Freedom.

I already subscribe to the paper, but I'd like to do more than simply be a passive consumer.

Living in Plymouth, I won't be able to help out in the office, but I'd be only too happy to contribute articles on things going on down here in the South West. There is life (and activity) west of Bristol, after all.

Maybe posting up a printer-friendly style guide would be helpful to prospective contributors as well. You can always PM me a style guide or ask for my details to send me one.

Let me know what sort of stuff you want and I'll see what I can rustle up.

Rob Ray's picture
Rob Ray
Mar 11 2006 18:24

Hmm could do that, actually if the libcom lot could make me a mod for this forum I could put up the style guide I did a while back and sticky it (the Libcom version is pretty close alredy mind, twas based on the Freedom one).

edit: Hang on a mo...

Rob Ray's picture
Rob Ray
Mar 11 2006 18:44

K I've put up the relevant bits of the Freedom welcome pack, slightly adjusted. The adapted Libcom version of the style guide, which is pretty much applicable to freedom, is here

martinh
Mar 11 2006 19:51

Saii

How about a thread (sticky?) posting up areas where you want/need people to become expert in?

NHS & Pensions already mentioned, as well as local/industry correspondents. (Are you going to the SF conference BTW?)

Happy to throw myself in the ring for food as a subject and the influence of supermarkets (but not retail per se).

Also know a fair bit about housing though I suspect there are others here more qualified than me.

Martin

Rob Ray's picture
Rob Ray
Mar 11 2006 19:56

Hmm actually that wouldn't be a bad idea in general, would also work for Libcom on shorter/urgent updates. adding.

oisleep's picture
oisleep
Mar 11 2006 22:32

i'll do your accounts for you if you need a hand

Rob Ray's picture
Rob Ray
Mar 11 2006 22:34

SERIOUSLY??

eek eek

oisleep's picture
oisleep
Mar 11 2006 23:23

yeah sure, although not sure what's involved and that, so can't say i'll be able to do everything that's needed/should be done, but would be able to do some of it

Sorry.
Mar 12 2006 11:40

People are welcome to start with the relatively simple task of writing up an international story for us. Anyone who wants to do this (deadline thurs, must be done without fail by saturday) just post on here and I'll pm you the details.

Sorry.
Mar 16 2006 20:18
Sorry. wrote:
People are welcome to start with the relatively simple task of writing up an international story for us. Anyone who wants to do this (deadline thurs, must be done without fail by saturday) just post on here and I'll pm you the details.

Can't tempt anyone? I've already got someone doing the anti-CPE article.

Y'all can have Mexican miners or IWW Starbucks, or anything else interesting you can think of 8)

coyote
Mar 16 2006 20:23

I´d do the mexican miners...seeing as I live here, but not on that deadline(sorry)...if you want, i can do mexican reports as and when stuff happens here, let me know...but give me plenty of notice if you can.

Sorry.
Mar 17 2006 16:50
coyote wrote:
I´d do the mexican miners...seeing as I live here, but not on that deadline(sorry)...if you want, i can do mexican reports as and when stuff happens here, let me know...but give me plenty of notice if you can.

did that last night. But do you mind if I give you a call next time something crops up, or even if you notice something interesting yourself?

coyote
Mar 17 2006 17:02

sure.

Hoping to see a leg of the zapatista tour, maybe I could do a report on that with the "other camapign"? also the elections are coming up here...if the PRD win I gues that will be big news.

That kind of thing?

Sorry.
Mar 19 2006 15:20
coyote wrote:
sure.

Hoping to see a leg of the zapatista tour, maybe I could do a report on that with the "other camapign"? also the elections are coming up here...if the PRD win I gues that will be big news.

That kind of thing?

First bit would be great, although I'm not sure we'd run anything about the PRD victory (we ignored Morales' win for instance)

the button's picture
the button
Mar 30 2006 08:47

*bump*

As per the request in the latest (and very good) edition of the paper, I'd like to volunteer to review one of the new Freedom Press titles.

Pilgrim
Mar 30 2006 10:55

I'm the new Defence bod, and I'm working on an article on the (seemingly already decided) issue of continuing the UK's 'independent' nuclear deterrent and what form it might (will?) take.

Now, given my affiliations, some might be concerned that that I might be less than impartial, but I'm being as objective as I can be and it won't be some fluffy and ultra-biased piece of propaganda. Just facts and a small measure of relevent opinion supported by hard fact.

I'll have it done in about a week or so, ten days at the most.

the button's picture
the button
Apr 20 2006 15:07
the button wrote:
*bump*

As per the request in the latest (and very good) edition of the paper, I'd like to volunteer to review one of the new Freedom Press titles.

Just e-mailed it in.

Rob Ray's picture
Rob Ray
Apr 20 2006 15:32

Ta button smile

Pilgrim
Apr 20 2006 19:03

My Trident replacement stuff went in a few days ago.

I'm ready to start something lese and have a couple of ideas in the pipeline.

Rob Ray's picture
Rob Ray
Apr 20 2006 20:58

Yeah will probly be looking at your bit for the feature coming up (early May edition) on that, just so's you know.