DONATE NOW TO HELP UPGRADE LIBCOM.ORG

1860-today: The International Workers Association article

18 posts / 0 new
Last post
syndicalist
Oct 3 2006 02:36
1860-today: The International Workers Association article

Hi, the following article seems to be missing the proper credit. The article was written by members of the Workers Solidarity Alliance (WSA) during the 1990's. I was a co-author.

Please credit the Workers Solidarity Alliance

Thanks,
mitch

http://libcom.org/tags/international-workers-association

Submitted by John. on Tue, 12/09/2006 - 13:01. Africa | Eastern Europe | IWMA | South America | Western Europe | anarcho-syndicalism | fascism | IWA-AIT
The history of the anarchist international from its origins in the 1860s through its height of several million members, to its later decline and current resurgence.

syndicalist
Oct 3 2006 02:41

Upon further review, it looks like our original article was bastardized and stuff inserted. Clearly the bulk of this piece was lifted from our original text. Not a problem, per se, but I still think credit should be given appropriately.

Steven.'s picture
Steven.
Oct 3 2006 10:03
syndicalist wrote:
Upon further review, it looks like our original article was bastardized and stuff inserted. Clearly the bulk of this piece was lifted from our original text. Not a problem, per se, but I still think credit should be given appropriately.

ok will do. i found it somewhere ages ago and saved on my computer, couldn't remember where i got it!

Felix Frost's picture
Felix Frost
Oct 3 2006 12:30

I remember putting together this text when I sat up the first WSA web page back in 1996 or so, but I think most of it was actually lifted from an older WSM article, so it wasn't an original WSA piece.

syndicalist
Oct 3 2006 12:36

I'll go through my records and see how it all came together.

I remember MK and I writing much of the text.

Perhaps the article has been recycled a few times.With lots of people putting in snipets of this and snipets of that. I'm cool with that. But I surely know that MK and I spent time on this piece.

Again, I'll look at the recors I have and if this is a combination of two--or more--- articles then eveyone should be credited.

Back to ya all soon.

---mitch

Felix Frost's picture
Felix Frost
Oct 3 2006 13:07

I originally put together this text using bits and pieces from different sources, but most of it came from the article Syndicalism, its strengths and weaknesses by Alan MacSimóin from WSM.
See http://flag.blackened.net/revolt/rbr/rbr1_synd.html

The text was later edited further by others in the WSA, which is why the text on the current WSA web site is somewhat different that the one John posted here.
See http://www.workersolidarity.org/syndical.html

Steven.'s picture
Steven.
Oct 3 2006 13:19

should i just say edited from a text by WSA then?

syndicalist
Oct 4 2006 03:01

I think there's an earlier genisus of all of these pieces. I haven't had a chance to run down all my hard copies (I have none of this electronically).

No doubt Alan introduced his own writing and credit is due as appropriate.

I know that I worked on a piece with MK and I can spot my writing (including the footnotes).

I need to look at "ideas & action" issues #5 -- Winter 1985
& #8-- Spring 1987. TW wrote a 2 part piece "What is the International Workers Association?"(and I was the ghost collaboator on parts of the article). This article had alot of info which seems to have been recyled elsewhere. As does, for that matter, a pamphlet by Col Longmore (pub. by S. London DAM)in 1984(ish) on the IWA.

Anyway, I'm very curious as to this whole thing now. Give me a day or two to see the particulars and how it should be credited. Crediting should be for accuracy sake and if it's joint credit, ok by me. But just hold off a day or so.

Steven.'s picture
Steven.
Oct 4 2006 08:20

ok i await your research!

AndrewF's picture
AndrewF
Oct 4 2006 09:45

Its generally a good idea to credit / footnote articles you take information from as part from anything else people sometimes print wrong information and you may copy this. If people can trace the wrong information back to a source then they are less likely to accuse you of delibretly lying for evil motivations.

Steven.'s picture
Steven.
Oct 4 2006 13:46

we always try to. At the start of the site we weren't so hot on this, cos we didn't really know what we were doing!

syndicalist
Oct 5 2006 04:29
syndicalist wrote:

I need to look at "ideas & action" issues #5 -- Winter 1985
& #8-- Spring 1987. TW wrote a 2 part piece "What is the International Workers Association?"(and I was the ghost collaboator on parts of the article). This article had alot of info which seems to have been recyled elsewhere. As does, for that matter, a pamphlet by Col Longmore (pub. by S. London DAM)in 1984(ish) on the IWA."

Comment:
Ok, I've gotton some of this down alright.

It appears to me that each of the pieces which Felix references parallels both the WSA "ideas & action" artcile in #5 Winter 1985. Perhaps some of the membership figures were culled from Longmore's pamphlet. As well as some of the inrmation on the IWA in pre-war/post war Eastern Europe. It is probably safe to say that some of this was culled from Rudolph Rocker's "Anarcho-Syndicalism". It is also clear that some of the currrent "1860-today: The International Workers Association" artcile comes from Alan's (WSM)piece as well.

So..... I would suggest a short introduction indicating all of the sources. The links and sources can be referenced at the end of the article.

I'd be happy to take a try at the introduction if this is acceptable. After I draft the introduction and sourcing, I trust interestetd comrades will make comments or further suggestions.

How do others feel?

---mitch (WSA personal capacity)

syndicalist
Oct 9 2006 01:17

Hello, I was having problems opening this, but it seems ok.
One day I'll figure this technical stuff out.

Any feedback to the above suggestion?
--mitch

syndicalist
Oct 11 2006 03:42

As this article seems to have “made the rounds” and is a combination of a few (with a couple of variations out there), I’ll probably sit down and update it a bit. I’ll cite the various sources used and add a couple of other sources as well.

---mitch

The main sources seem to be:

1. Rudolph Rocker’s “Anarcho-Syndicalism” (1938, perhaps 1947 update)
2.Col Longmore/S. London DAM pamphlet “The IWA Today” (1984)
3.“ideas & action” article “What Is the IWA?” (1985)
4.Alan MacSimóin' s "Syndicalism, its strengths & weaknesses" ("Red & Black Revo.”# 1, 1994)

Mike Harman
Oct 11 2006 07:31

Thanks for working all this out, syndicalist.

We'd be happy to add those sources to the article, or do you want us to hold on for a bit?

syndicalist
Oct 11 2006 13:00

Catch, as for the current artcile goes, sure, why not add a footnote. I'll try and tie it all together in another piece.

I don't think the "ideas & action" article is on-line yet. Perhaps the others are and links might be appropriate.

But for now, footnore something like:

This article is based on a series of other articles or pamphlets written by different authorss over the years.

The main sources for this article are:

1. Rudolph Rocker’s “Anarcho-Syndicalism” (1938, perhaps 1947 update)
2.Col Longmore/S. London DAM pamphlet “The IWA Today” (1984)
3.“ideas & action” article “What Is the IWA?” (1985)
4.Alan MacSimóin' s "Syndicalism, its strengths & weaknesses" ("Red & Black Revo.”# 1, 1994)

Mike Harman
Oct 11 2006 14:48

Done mate. Couldn't find the Longmore or ideas and action, but links for the other two in as well.

syndicalist
Oct 13 2006 02:26

Catch, I've tweeked the article a bit. It's not quite ready to be emailed and not the final, final article I want to send--- but has a few more footnote resources.

Anyway,it's actually the piece which appears on the WSA website http://workersolidarity.org/ ( go to Rebel Legacies) and click on A Short History of Syndicalism

This article is much less cheeky than current piece. How can I send it for possible replacement of current article? I need to know the least technologically challenging way to do this.

Thanx.