Writing headlines

9 posts / 0 new
Last post
Armchair Anarchist's picture
Armchair Anarchist
May 12 2009 16:45
Writing headlines

Sorry if this seems a bit anal but could something be added to the style guide about writing a decent headline? Some of the headlines on the front page articles are far too long. I have tried editing a few but the changes weren't accepted.

jef costello's picture
jef costello
May 12 2009 19:27

Rob Ray has definitely wrote about this in one of the threads, maybe one of the subediting ones. It's a good idea. Mods used to edit them themselves if they were too long.

Rob Ray's picture
Rob Ray
May 12 2009 21:25

If there's a way of putting in a character limit that might help sort it?

Steven.'s picture
Steven.
May 13 2009 02:04

hi AA, it's not that changes weren't accepted necessarily, our system isn't showing up pending edits, so we're not seeing them at the moment.

there's something they should be as brief as possible, but we should update it. i'll chase this up next week when i'm back - thanks for your help!

Armchair Anarchist
May 14 2009 16:49
Steven. wrote:
hi AA, it's not that changes weren't accepted necessarily, our system isn't showing up pending edits, so we're not seeing them at the moment.

Thanks for the info, and thanks to everyone else who replied to this thread. I was trying to change the headline on the article about the Bangladeshi garment workers - all it needs to say (in my opinion) is 'Bangladeshi garment workers attack factories'.

Steven. wrote:
there's something they should be as brief as possible, but we should update it. i'll chase this up next week when i'm back - thanks for your help!

No problem. Might be an idea to include a reference to the bbc website - they have got headline writing down to a fine art smile

Steven.'s picture
Steven.
May 14 2009 22:17

they sure have - and intros as well

Armchair Anarchist
May 29 2009 09:16
Steven. wrote:

I've just edited this article slightly:

http://libcom.org/news/swansea-linamar-worker-strike-support-sacked-convenor-28052009

Would you be able to check whether you can see the pending edits? I edited it yesterday but the changes weren't saved.

Ta

AA

Steven.'s picture
Steven.
May 29 2009 09:35

Thanks for the edits. I have approved them. There was a version in the queue that you did yesterday, but choccy edited it again after you, maybe not noticing your changes I'm not sure.

Armchair Anarchist
May 29 2009 14:43
Steven wrote:
Thanks for the edits.

glad to help

Steven wrote:
I have approved them.

ta

Steven wrote:
There was a version in the queue that you did yesterday, but choccy edited it again after you, maybe not noticing your changes I'm not sure.

cheers for the info