DONATE NOW TO HELP UPGRADE LIBCOM.ORG

Is this what it was like before colour TV!?

44 posts / 0 new
Last post
Nemo's picture
Nemo
Jul 25 2006 10:53
Is this what it was like before colour TV!?

You really don't want to see what the new site looks like in my browser (Konquerer). It looks like an explosion in an HTML factory. Mind you it also looks pretty bad in FireFox. This is supposed to be an upgrade, right? wink

libcom's picture
libcom
Jul 25 2006 10:56
Nemo wrote:
You really don't want to see what the new site looks like in my browser (Konquerer). It looks like an explosion in an HTML factory. Mind you it also looks pretty bad in FireFox. This is supposed to be an upgrade, right? wink

you're on freebsd as well right? Does konquerer have issues with css2 positioning? what monitor resolution/size are you running? We're planning to run a scaled down/work safe theme as well, I'll switch a couple of the standard ones on and allow you to change in your profile for now - please let me know if those come out alright.

Jacques Roux's picture
Jacques Roux
Jul 25 2006 11:02
Nemo wrote:
Mind you it also looks pretty bad in FireFox.

What problems are you having in firefox? Or is that just a general comment?

Nemo's picture
Nemo
Jul 25 2006 16:31

EDIT: Just a test, never mind me.

1) Linux. 2) Don't know. 3) Shouldn't matter, but it is 1280x1024.

Shot of browser:

Admittedly it isn't the latest version, but it doesn't usually have problems except when sites are so pointlessly complex that there are guaranteed not to work.

Nemo's picture
Nemo
Jul 25 2006 11:05

Just a general comment. Personally a prefer the old forums, or even the backup forums. I hope this is only temporary. sad

Nemo's picture
Nemo
Jul 25 2006 11:14

Also, I went to have a look at the Taxes thread in Thought, and part way down the page the text jumps from being really small to a normal size. This is in FireFox (again, not the latest version).

libcom's picture
libcom
Jul 25 2006 11:24

Nemo, I changed your settings to a (very basic) tables based theme instead of css. It's even less pretty but please let us know if it works for you.

Nemo's picture
Nemo
Jul 25 2006 11:27

Yup, it seems to work OK, even if it does look like it's been beaten with the ugly stick a little too much. wink

Thanks for that, though.

Jacques Roux's picture
Jacques Roux
Jul 25 2006 11:39

Sorry to be blunt - but one 1. why the fuck do you use such a shit browser? 2. Why dont you bother updating them?

Nemo's picture
Nemo
Jul 25 2006 11:45

1. I personally like Konqueror better than FireFox, and it doesn't usually cause problems.

2. Because I have to update the whole desktop environment (KDE), to update the browser, because it is built into it. When I get round to it I will, but it mostly works fine at the moment, so I'll leave it alone. Also, I don't use FireFox often so I haven't updated that.

People shouldn't have to update software all the time just to access websites. That is bad website design! wink

the button's picture
the button
Jul 25 2006 11:48

I tend not to have my libcom window maximised ('cause I'm at work), and this new set-up does seem to make the text bit (i.e. the important bit) very narrow. As emo Hegel boy said, is it really necessary to have all that stuff down the sides?

Nemo's picture
Nemo
Jul 25 2006 11:53

FireFox runs quite slow on my ancient computer. Konqueror runs much faster. Also has a built in spell checker, when I remember to use it.

ghostzart
Jul 25 2006 12:00

Everything looks fine to me in Firefox 1.5.0.4/FreeBSD @ 1280x1024 (the font was a bit small, but it took half a second to increase it). Must be a Konqueror problem. Then again, as revol said, one of the annoying things about Windows is the embedded web browser. Why on earth would someone use such a thing if they don't have to ? I don't even recall the last time I used Konqueror. Image: Right click to view full sizeScreenshot

Nemo's picture
Nemo
Jul 25 2006 12:08

I have no objection to firefox -- I even installed it on my parents computer. I also use it as a backup browser. But Konq. is pretty good, IMO. I usually turn all the fancy shit off, cos I really hate it -- Javascript, Java, Flash, Cookies,... -- and just enable them for the sites I need to use them on. I even set it so animated ad banners don't loop, and only play once. Everything works nippy-quick on my crappy old computer.

Plus you are even less likely to have problems with viruses and hackers, as it is even less popular than firefox! wink

Jacques Roux's picture
Jacques Roux
Jul 25 2006 12:30

thanks for the comments. Havent got time to reply to all. Will take into consideration dropping stuff in right coloumn and going wider with the forums.

libcom's picture
libcom
Jul 25 2006 15:02

nemo, I've had another go at the theme. Please let me know if it's improved things.

Nemo's picture
Nemo
Jul 25 2006 15:22

No better I'm afraid. sad

It seems a bit sporadic, suggesting it could be partly my browser. Clicking refresh sometimes fixes it sometimes doesn't. I know K*******r isn't particularly forgiving if there is some kind of problem with the page, so it could be at your end, and other people just aren't picking it up.

I suggest you do whatever you think is the least trouble. I can switch browser for now if it becomes a problem.

When I get round to eventually updating my software, I'll check it out with the new version of K*******r.

libcom's picture
libcom
Jul 25 2006 15:26

ok thanks for having a look.I'll switch back the last change I made, the rest didn't seem to do anything at all to my browser either. If you get any changes let me know, and if/when you update please let us know.I'll try to take a look with konqueror myself some time this week. 

libcom's picture
libcom
Jul 25 2006 15:31

We want people to be able to use it with pdas and ghostzilla you twat, so making sure it's compatible with unusual browsers is worth it. Did I mention the feedback forum is no flaming? tongue 

Nemo's picture
Nemo
Jul 25 2006 15:33
revol68 wrote:
just use firefox you sad bastard

http://libcom.org.uk/node/8513 wink

libcom's picture
libcom
Jul 25 2006 15:37

ok wap phones etc.

ghostzart
Jul 25 2006 16:04

Maybe it's supposed to be this way, but why does it say "Add new comment | quote" for the first post, but "Reply | quote" for all the others? If you're replying to the first post, aren't you also replying? Why the distinction? Also, what is with the two links to other threads in the first post of a topic? Just noticed another problem when typing this message: having trouble sometimes hitting the backspace key to delete something. It just sits in the same spot and does nothing. When I disable rich-text input it's fine, so it must be a problem with Drupal's Javascript in Firefox. Yeah, it looks like it's going on in here: http://libcom.org.uk/modules/contrib/tinymce/tinymce/jscripts/tiny_mce/t... Refer to the function definition for _handleBackSpace(). God, that file is such a fucking mess. I think they put the word "tiny" in there as a joke. 

Steven.'s picture
Steven.
Jul 25 2006 16:09
ghostzart wrote:
Maybe it's supposed to be this way, but why does it say "Add new comment | quote" for the first post, but "Reply | quote" for all the others? If you're replying to the first post, aren't you also replying? Why the distinction?

this is just an inbuilt thing with drupal, where that's what it always says under the first article. we're looking at changing it if possible.

ghostzart
Jul 25 2006 16:24

Cool, nevermind

Nemo's picture
Nemo
Jul 25 2006 16:32

Thought so. The above post was right near the top of the thread until I edited it. It then dropped down to the bottom, as if I had just posted it.

libcom's picture
libcom
Jul 25 2006 16:33

we've killed that anyway to speed things up, but when we've got feeds working a bit better we can do that yeah.

libcom's picture
libcom
Jul 25 2006 16:36

hmm I couldn't get that to happen at my end either, will look into it. ghostzart - that's really helpful! I'll set it so you can disable rich text input by default in your account settings for now. edit: now you can switch the editor off in my account - can still enable it for individual posts if necessary. 

Jacques Roux's picture
Jacques Roux
Jul 25 2006 16:36
ghostzart wrote:
Why the distinction? Also, what is with the two links to other threads in the first post of a topic?

As john says, this will be fixed soon.

Quote:
Just noticed another problem when typing this message: having trouble sometimes hitting the backspace key to delete something.

Thanks for the usefull feedback, we are having several problems with this and will look into smile

ghostzart
Jul 25 2006 16:51

BTW, if you see a bunch of weird accesses to files in your weblogs, it's because Drupal allows one to insert iframes into the message box and preview them (it removes the iframes once you post, but keeps them in the preview). I was just making sure nothing is visible that shouldn't be. So don't go crazy and put another contract out on HAAAKER_1's life just yet.

libcom's picture
libcom
Jul 25 2006 16:54

no problem, please keep doing as much stuff like that as you can. I'll add an html filter in soonish so it only allows what we want it to.

jef costello's picture
jef costello
Jul 26 2006 14:47

The new thing has made the page too big for my browser. I may not be getting a new computer now so please fix it.