Tidying up and featuring tags

21 posts / 0 new
Last post
Steven.'s picture
Steven.
Jan 9 2011 15:58
Tidying up and featuring tags

This thread is aimed at libcom admins.

For a while we have needed to go through all the tags and tidy them up.

We also need to feature more tags where we have good content.

I have now started to do this, and would appreciate some help. It's something you can easily dip in and out of.

I will editing here what letters and numbers have been done.

I am starting at A and working up the alphabet, so anyone else feel free to start later in the alphabet, or doing the numbers.

What needs to happen is this, we go to the full tag index in the library here:
http://libcom.org/library/tags/index

Then we pick a letter then we delete any redundant and duplicate tags. If there is a duplicate tag with a couple of articles in, then we also need to edit those articles and instead put them in the correct tag.

Any tags which have an intro and lots of good content, you should click "edit" then tick the featured box.

To see examples, I have now done A, so you can have a look at that, and compare it to a letter like R, which has not yet been done.

Thanks for any help!

Done
*#ABC DEF

Juan Conatz's picture
Juan Conatz
Jan 12 2011 17:59

Once you do this can you let us contributors know? Sometimes I have doubts on what to tag something....

Steven.'s picture
Steven.
Jan 12 2011 18:48

Sure.

Basically feel free to use any tag which already exists. If it is a redundant one we will get to it and fix it eventually!

Steven.'s picture
Steven.
Jan 16 2011 14:16

B done

Ed's picture
Ed
Jan 16 2011 16:47

Z done.. I'll try to work backwards from here and meet you around M wink

Ed's picture
Ed
Jan 16 2011 21:05

Y, X and W all done.. deleting these useless tags is more refreshing than an enema! Think I'll lie down..

Mike Harman
Jan 17 2011 02:03

Just a note, unless you're really enjoying the actual deletion, I can very likely figure out a way to delete empty tags all in one go.

Ed's picture
Ed
Jan 17 2011 07:45

Yeah, I'm not enjoying it that much.. if it won't take you too long then that's probably the best bet though we'd still have to go through and tidy up all the tags with two articles or whatever in them..

Steven.'s picture
Steven.
Jan 17 2011 08:20

Yeah, I sent Mike a message because while it was very cleansing, it was taking me ages. I had to delete about 70 redundant tags from B, and most of them were empty so I thought there might be a way of doing it automatically. Then we can go through afterwards and finish the tidying much quicker.

Regarding tags with maybe one or two articles in, just checking that we will leave in ones which are say company names which we may have more coverage on in future.

Mike, if you let us know when the empty ones are gone we can resume the cleanup, cheers

admin- updated for new username

Steven.'s picture
Steven.
Feb 28 2011 12:55

Update: all of the empty tags have now been deleted. We can also now automatically delete all empty tags, and should be doing this on a regular basis from now on.

I am now resuming going through these, and I'm also making one other minor change, which is I am moving ALL groups and unions into the "authors, people and groups" vocabulary.

At the moment we only have libcom-friendly groups in this field, so we have anarchist unions like the CNT are in "groups" while mainstream unions like Unite are in "tags". This makes things quite confusing, so I think it's much easier if we move all of them into groups.

Ed, if you could give me a hand that would be great. If you wanted to finish doing the countries intros first that would be cool - I have found a couple of extra countries in tags which I am moving into regions.

As well as featuring decent tags (we now have loads of good tags featured) ultimately I want to have an intro with an image, and ideally one or two "key articles" for every tag and author.

Rob Ray's picture
Rob Ray
Feb 28 2011 13:20

Only problem with running key articles is updating them, mine still says has an lcap article I did in 2006 for example wink

Steven.'s picture
Steven.
Feb 28 2011 14:02

Key articles aren't really meant to be just one article by the person or whatever. The ideal format of them is, in the order in which they appear:
the intro explains in one sentence what the thing is
key article number one is a short article outlining the topic (or a group history or biography for a group/author)
a detailed text on the topic, such as a full-length book
a further reading guide on the topic

here is an ideal example:
http://libcom.org/tags/spanish-civil-war

so with your one the "key article" should be a biography, or at least one text outlining your political perspective, but of course most people don't have either of them!

Steven.'s picture
Steven.
Feb 28 2011 15:15

Have now done the numbers, and a to C. Doing this properly has roughly cut the numbers of tags in half. C has gone down manually from 160 to 94 tags (originally it was 190-210, I don't recall which), and will go down a couple more when a couple of tags get merged.

Steven.'s picture
Steven.
Mar 1 2011 12:33

Done up to and including L

Steven.'s picture
Steven.
Mar 1 2011 18:02

M

Steven.'s picture
Steven.
Mar 2 2011 23:33

N

Steven.'s picture
Steven.
Mar 4 2011 19:51

P

Steven.'s picture
Steven.
Mar 5 2011 19:38

Done! Now it only needs the ones merging that need to be merged

My eyes hurt…

On to do authors/groups in a bit. I will also update posting instructions to try to keep things tidy for the future.

Steven.'s picture
Steven.
Mar 7 2011 11:43

Now this is all done, including authors and groups. Just the tag merging in the issue queue needs to be done

Ed's picture
Ed
Mar 7 2011 20:36

Good stuff mate!

Steven.'s picture
Steven.
Mar 8 2011 10:17

Would be good to eventually get intros for all of them. I will do some every now and again, and leave the country ones to you for the time being.

Regarding the author intros, I noticed that quite a few of them aren't in the format "surname, first name", so for simplicity's sake I think we should make them all "first name, surname" - since in the main tag index people have to navigate alphabetically by first name, so it makes sense for them to all be like that.

I think we've deleted about 2000 obsolete tags!