DONATE NOW TO HELP UPGRADE LIBCOM.ORG

S. Artesian, Double Standards Regarding Libcom's Posting Guidelines

92 posts / 0 new
Last post
Rob Ray's picture
Rob Ray
Jul 16 2017 09:31

"Weighing" influence in upvotes and downvotes is turning it into a popularity contest, and particularly silly if you don't even engage with or believe in using them yourself.

Battlescarred
Jul 16 2017 09:38

You do that, Serge, I'm worried about the creeping Leninism here, and I don't put it in quotations. AIn't got enough time to engage fully here. Too busy with other things.

Tom Henry
Jul 16 2017 10:49

Rob Ray,

I thought you were a wordsmith who understood the English language.

Read again what I have written.

S. Artesian
Jul 16 2017 12:45

removed:tdtf

S. Artesian
Jul 16 2017 12:47

removed: wotwu

Steven.'s picture
Steven.
Jul 16 2017 12:08

Artesian: this is a further warning for you on personal abuse. Cut it out or you will be banned.

Tom Henry, you were not warned for sticking up for libcom, you were warned for posting an off topic comment attacking another poster on a thread whose purpose was specifically to try to defuse tensions on the site.

Both posting off topic comments and posting abuse are breaches of the posting guidelines.

Serge Forward's picture
Serge Forward
Jul 16 2017 12:12
S.Artesian wrote:
It's all about me me me....

Fixed.

S. Artesian
Jul 16 2017 12:46

removed:woft

S. Artesian
Jul 16 2017 12:46

removed: cgaff

Tom Henry
Jul 16 2017 12:20

Yes, you will win, if past history is anything to go by. But maybe things will change:

https://libcom.org/forums/theory/there-creeping-leninism-libcom-16072017

Everything I write proves you are right.

I have said this from the beginning.

You don't get it do you? ( I know this is a phrase you use, so forgive me.)

But I don't care what you get or don't get. I never wanted to enter a discussion with a Marxist Leninist on Libcom. What I care about is what the people who identify as libertarian communists, or close to that, get about you and your sympathisers.

And anyway, I thought you were leaving this place that, as you so rudely said, could 'gag a maggot'?

If you don't actually do what you say you are going to do, with such venom and bile as well, then how can we trust anything you say?

I expect a few more down votes, at least, for this saying this, of course.

Rob Ray's picture
Rob Ray
Jul 16 2017 12:23
S Artesian wrote:
Exactly what's abusive

Abuse isn't just about whether you use bad words or not. In the course of the last few threads you've engaged in the same sort of belittling intellectual snobbery, passive-aggressive threats and accusations (still waiting for that final flounce you promised because you're so morally outraged at all the tacit racism on here) and other manipulative tossery that every other political headbanger likes to try when they're not getting their own way.

And you all seem to think you're the first to try it and you're oh-so cleverly straying just the right side of outright insults, as though older hands haven't seen your sort many times before.

Serge Forward's picture
Serge Forward
Jul 16 2017 12:23

You're right. Tom Henry's vote counting is silly. The appropriateness of Leninism on a libertarian communist website is well worth a discussion though. For the record, I'm fine with the 'w' word. And yes, you are a prima dona (I'm waiting for you to tell someone they'll never work in this town again) but your flounce has to be the worst flounce ever.

Tom Henry
Jul 16 2017 12:25

My post 71 is in reply to Artesian's post 65.

I didn't see the posts that have come after post 65.

Tom Henry
Jul 16 2017 12:33

Steven, with respect, how can you say that posting abuse is a breach when people like Artesian have been able get away with it for so long here?

Also, with complete respect again, to hoist me on my own tiny breach is surely just validating what I have been arguing?

Tom Henry
Jul 16 2017 12:41

Yes, Serge, my vote counting is silly - wasn't that obvious from the start?!

I thought I had made that plain, ffs! Gawd!

Everyone here needs to take a step back and lighten up so they can read and think straight.

But they should have done it a good while ago.

But nothing's over til the funerary music begins.

Rob Ray's picture
Rob Ray
Jul 16 2017 12:44

There's a golden rule of both design and journalism Tom which I think may apply here: If people are consistently misunderstanding your intent it's likely your failing, not theirs.

el psy congroo
Jul 16 2017 12:49

I've understood Tom just fine.

Tom Henry
Jul 16 2017 13:08

with respect, just because you are a journalist does not mean you are an expert in understanding, Rob Ray.

You say people are misunderstanding what I am saying, but are they really? And if they are why are they?

A more subtle approach to understanding here might be in order than your crude one?

As in, I suspect that I have upset you in some way, and this is the cause of your objection. But your objection then, if I am correct, is not entirely honest?

But, before you reply, I accept that I am wrong and you are right.

Rob Ray's picture
Rob Ray
Jul 16 2017 13:17

Not saying I am, but if three people in a row are misunderstanding you it probably means you weren't being terribly clear. Also please knock off the "I accept that I am wrong and you are right" stuff. It comes off as incredibly snarky.

Red Marriott's picture
Red Marriott
Jul 16 2017 13:24

Leninism is something that can be argued against quite adequately, though only if it's thought worthwhile to tediously repeat the same old conflicts and there are good arguments that there's better ways to spend one's energies. But it's just a fact that there's an area of semi-leninism that thinks bolshevism was right in its time but maybe semi-impractical now and such people seem to have a (sometimes patronising) attraction towards libcom, even if only to play the loyal opposition. But behaviour like Tom Henry's long-winded competitive egotism and petty baiting - while not generally breaching site guidelines etc - is imo a worse long-term influence on the atmosphere and tone of the place. Even though, or especially because, it's dressed up as pro-libertarian communism.

Tom Henry
Jul 16 2017 13:33

The point was to end the conversation with you, because you didn't get what I was saying, and I suspected that you would persist in your (deliberate?) misunderstanding, and you still don't, from what you are saying. So that's what I meant. It wasn't sarcasm.

Tom Henry
Jul 16 2017 13:34

So, with respect, no need to continue, because it will just end badly.

Rob Ray's picture
Rob Ray
Jul 16 2017 14:13

I didn't say sarky, I said snarky. Perhaps you should improve your reading comprehension skills? don't bother replying, you're clearly just out to get me along with everyone else.

The above, just in case it wasn't clear, is a mildly satirical facsimile of your posting style aimed at supporting Red's general point about the rather unpleasant way you've been approaching these arguments.

Tom Henry
Jul 16 2017 14:38

Sorry, but 'snarky' means 'snide' or 'sarcastic'. Look it up.

Rob Ray's picture
Rob Ray
Jul 16 2017 14:44

And yet you read it the latter way while I meant it the former way - I can only assume from this that you are being deliberately disingenuous and must hate me. I don't think we should talk any more. Many apologies, let's just assume you're right, like you always are.

Khawaga's picture
Khawaga
Jul 16 2017 14:47

Artesian is now behaving like a baby what with throwing a massive temper tantrum and Tom is even more full of himself in his self righteousness. Neither of you are "winning".

Rob Ray's picture
Rob Ray
Jul 16 2017 14:55

*Insert "joke" about being banned which is actually just a thinly disguised passive-aggressive dig*

Tom Henry
Jul 16 2017 14:57

No Rob Ray, it was I who suggested we stopped talking first - oh the irony that I am now replying!

I am not familiar with the term snarky, I presumed it meant sacrastic. What is the difference between 'snide' and 'sarcastic'?

Khawaga,

Everyone here needs to quit this thread and engage with the relevant threads about the political tendencies that are dominating Libcom. As well as the other usual threads.

I reckon sitting on the fence and not knowing what is happening here is not acceptable anymore. Unless one states what side of Leninism one sits on.

I never said I was winning ever - I keep saying I am losing and that I will lose! Strueth!

Craftwork's picture
Craftwork
Jul 16 2017 15:37
S. Artesian wrote:
removed: cgaff

Craftwork's picture
Craftwork
Jul 16 2017 15:38
S. Artesian wrote:
removed:woft