DONATE NOW TO HELP UPGRADE LIBCOM.ORG

Problems with the new Libcom post rankings

21 posts / 0 new
Last post
Devrim's picture
Devrim
Aug 15 2006 14:40
Problems with the new Libcom post rankings

I don't like the way that the new Libcom displays the latest content. The fact that discussions about what type of coffee people like come above the topic of war in the Middle East. Now, maybe if it was the posts about the Haringey binmens’ strike, I wouldn't be so annoyed. I think that it is not the most important issue today, but workers struggle is always important. How you take your coffee is, however, a load of wank.
I think that this system will always promote trivial nothingness above politics, as I think, unfortunatly, there are more people who use this as a social club than a place for serious political discussion.
I am not against the Libcommunity board. I thought that the thread on me selling out was amusing, and I had a bit of an interesting discussion on there with someone I don't know about the champions league qualifiers (I intend to come back on that one, Ian).
The fact is however, that more people post inane bollocks on here that political things, and if you continue ranking the postings by the most recent ones, Libcom could well descend into an anarchist gossip board. I wouldn't like to see this happen.
Devrim

Joseph Kay's picture
Joseph Kay
Aug 15 2006 14:47
Devrim wrote:
How you take your coffee is, however, a load of wank.

did you follow the thread? thats exactly what was said to zobag...

but yeah its a very good point - the whole point of libcommunity was to contain the irreverence (which on my part stems from boredom at work, as do my occaisonal heavier theoretical threads). the tracker feature on this site is far more prominent and widely used than the 'view posts since my last visit' in phpbb, and that does through up a problem.

I assume the boards appearence and functionality are still very much a work in progress, but this is definitely important.

Devrim's picture
Devrim
Aug 15 2006 14:52

I don't think that there is a problem with Libcommunity, and I don't think there is anything wrong with people at work idling their time away with pointless banter.

I have a problem with two things. the prominence given on the new system to these discussions. I would suggest removing libcommunity from the 'current content', and Zobag's view on Turkish coffee:

Quote:
Nah, nothing beats Turkish coffee... seriously you gotta try it, it's like heaven. It has cardamon and other spicy goodness. Thick and sweet and gorgeous and lovely.

It doesn't have cardamom in Ankara, nor anywhere I know in this country.

Devrim

Joseph Kay's picture
Joseph Kay
Aug 15 2006 14:55

i think i had apple tea in istanbul once

[/derail] grin

Jack - the issue is the prominence not the presence of the idle banter, of which i am indeed a fan.

libcom's picture
libcom
Aug 15 2006 15:30

What I could do very easily is hide libcommunity (and possibly feedback?) from anyone who isn't logged in, so only site regulars would see those forums, then it wouldn't clutter the tracker unless you're a regular. So you'd still have to look at it Devrim, but casual visitors to the site wouldn't see it at all.

More complex would be hiding it from the tracker for pretty much everyone except this uber admin account, but otherwise have it function as normal. I don't know if I can do that without hiding the actual forum from everyone as well, but I could try it out and see what happens!

I agree it's not great to have coffee threads up there all the time, and that'll be even more annoying when we've got news/library/history moved over as well since they'll be able to compete even less than serious forum posts. Hadn't thought about hiding it, although until we got the permissions issues sorted out a week ago it would've been impossible to do anyway.

libcom's picture
libcom
Aug 15 2006 15:34

edit: that didn't work sad

Alright I'm going to block it for non-logged in users completely, so you'll have to have an account and be logged in to read libcommunity. If people think feedback threads should be blocked as well let me know but I can think of good reasons to keep that open.

OliverTwister's picture
OliverTwister
Aug 15 2006 15:36
Jack wrote:
Devrim wrote:
It doesn't have cardamom in Ankara, nor anywhere I know in this country.

I bet "French Toast" in France (pain grillé français?) doesn't have egg in it. tongue

I have no problem with libcommunity being removed from hot topics tho.

I hear in Denmark they mean something very different by "Cheese Danish".

And in Greece they call New York-style Pizza "Shit".

PS I agree with Devrim

john
Aug 15 2006 15:37

hasn't blocked it at all

Steven.'s picture
Steven.
Aug 15 2006 15:41

So we couldn't just replace that latest posts thing with a joint feed from the 4 main forums? Cos the culture forum is full of shite too, and the regional ones don't necessarily have a high level of discussion either.

I think if possible we should have say latest few posts from the 4 key forums, and then underneath that latest few from the other ones, including libcommunity and regional.

Devrim is right that they shouldn't be prominent, on the old version of the site we didn't include libcommunity posts in feeds.

Devrim's picture
Devrim
Aug 15 2006 15:47

I just went next door to look at my neighbours computer. It is blocked if you are not loged in, which is better. At least it doesn't make us look like idiots to ousiders.
In my opinion it would be better to take it off the current content altogether. I think that would be easy. After all it is only a link page. (He says having no idea what he is talking about). It would still be there, but people would have to click to go there, and new members wouldn't be faced with masses of wank about coffee*.

*On the point of which, I would recomend Net Piknik in Kizilay, Ankara, superb coffee, only one Lira a cup (60p), and free for regulars.

libcom's picture
libcom
Aug 15 2006 16:28

I think we can, yeah. I think it's possible to do that and also keep libcom.org/tracker working as it does in case anyone wants to catch latest content from anywhere in the site (which I do) - but just not link to it prominently (or at all).

That's a bit of the site I've not messed with yet, so keep reminding me.

libcom's picture
libcom
Aug 15 2006 17:16

Well I had a go at it and it's easier than I thought 8)

There's now two options:

Forum Hot Topics - this only shows stuff in:
Introductory
Current Affairs
Thought
Organise

and tracker which shows everything on the site as it has been, and which might get hidden eventually.

Personally I'd like to add the feedback forum for now, and the main regional and groups ones to hot topics. They aren't that busy but I don't see any reason to exclude them - plus we can't do jump to last post on the main forum index yet.

jef costello's picture
jef costello
Aug 15 2006 17:26
libcom wrote:
edit: that didn't work sad

Alright I'm going to block it for non-logged in users completely, so you'll have to have an account and be logged in to read libcommunity. If people think feedback threads should be blocked as well let me know but I can think of good reasons to keep that open.

It was a bit disconceting before I'd logged in but I don't mind it being hidden, I'd prefer it if it was still visible in the internal forum, I can't see it there even when I'm logged in.
I agree that sticking the four political forums as most recent is a good idea.

libcom's picture
libcom
Aug 15 2006 17:52

I've unblocked it again.

Lone Wolf's picture
Lone Wolf
Aug 16 2006 03:50

I have a different POV to you guys. Here is why:

When I first stumbled upon libcom it was to the trivia of libcommunity that I was first drawn. Why? Because when I decide whether or not to join a group of any kind - on or off-line - my criteria is always the same. The key question for me is always: On a day-to-day basis how do these people communicate with each other? How do they treat each other? How do they motivate, support, tease and stimulate each other? How and in what ways do they offer support etc? I liked the sound of how peeps relate in libcommunity - the teasing, good humour, support when needed etc. So that is why I decided to join.

I do not give a toss what people SAY they stand for or how grandiose etc the aims of the group are. I care about how the group puts into practice what they say.I want to know if I can work WITH people. As things stand now, I would not be able to view libcommunity as a visitor therefore would prob. not have joined....I think this is a shame.

I agree some aspects of libcommunity prob. go a bit too far like the ball-stretching one - urgh!!! But apart from this - you are hiding your best asset IMO. I spent ages paddling in the shallow waters of libcommunity before daring to start threads in Thought etc. I doubt if this experience is uncommon. If a new person just focuses on the more serious forums they are likely to be a bit daunted IMO. Libcommunity shows we are a friendly place and we do not take ourselves too seriously. And thank goodness for that!!!

Also - I know this is not intentional but this notion of "hiving off" the social/humorous aspects does smack a bit of machismo. I.E "Let us put aside these trivial meanderings and get on with the important political work of the day." As my avatar says - everything is inter-related-and our political work will be enchanced by our ability to build common bonds with each other based on our every day aspects and not just our serious beliefs...
The coffee thread is actually important!!! If I remember how other peeps take their drinks this seemingly "trivial" act will prob. mean q. a lot to them in a world in which peeps often have their most basic needs and humanities ignored. Whenever I have remembered someones birthday, job interview or whatever on here people have been really touched esp. as I barely know them...but that is the point. In order to build a new society we must have the courage to reach out to those we barely know and invite them to join us. We must build bonds of trust with those who have been betrayed. We must first give trust in order to receive it. Showing we remember how someone takes their drink is a good way to say "welcome to my world". Therefore the coffee thread is one of the most imp. on libcom!!!

I will of course accord with the majority view. Just wanted to share.

Love

LW X

PS I take my tea strong - no sugar!!! tongue

libcom's picture
libcom
Aug 16 2006 10:11

LW. At the moment, libcommunity isn't hidden from anyone, but we're thinking of changing what gets shown in forum hot topics (you can compare forum hot topics and tracker in the left menu to see the difference in how it'll look).

Tracker won't disappear, it just won't be as prominent.

BB
Aug 16 2006 10:27
libcom wrote:
What I could do very easily is hide libcommunity (and possibly feedback?) from anyone who isn't logged in, so only site regulars would see those forums, then it wouldn't clutter the tracker unless you're a regular. So you'd still have to look at it Devrim, but casual visitors to the site wouldn't see it at all.

I'm not targetting you catch.

But, for fucks sake then we can look to all intent an purposes as serious revolutionarys :grim:, and not a community of revolutionarys.cool

Or have i missed a joke?

libcom's picture
libcom
Aug 16 2006 10:34

Since I've found a way to do this without hiding libcommunity from anyone I don't think you need to worry. All it means is that forums hot topics reflects what's posted in the main four political forums on the site (with additions later mainly), and all the other forums are available just as before.