Not sure if these videos should be added

6 posts / 0 new
Last post
Reddebrek's picture
Reddebrek
Feb 6 2013 00:48
Not sure if these videos should be added

I have two very entertaining and informative videos on Nazi and Stalinist architecture and there links to the regimes approved cultures and policies. The narrator is also a very harsh critic of Authoritarian government and totalitarianism. However Jonathan Meades isn't what we'd call a fellow traveller so it isn't a Libertarian critique its more liberal humanist but not quite.

I personally think they'd be of interest has anyone else seen an in-depth study into the role of architecture in a regimes oppression? But its a bit outside the sites guidelines, I'll embed them here so if anyone else has any thoughts either way that would help.

Ed's picture
Ed
Feb 6 2013 08:39

Not watched the videos, but we have an urban planning tag, so wouldn't be against it on principle.. we're having massive problems with our videos at the moment though (they keep fucking up the pages we put them on), so first we'll have to get over that before we do anything else..

sabot's picture
sabot
Feb 7 2013 11:16
Reddebrek wrote:
I personally think they'd be of interest has anyone else seen an in-depth study into the role of architecture in a regimes oppression?

Probably not what you're looking for but there's the Architecture and Nationality chapter in Rocker's Nationalism and Culture that deals with architecture styles and social forms from the Greek ideal to the modern factory within the framework of the “national idea.” Unfortunately, the latter chapters in Book II haven’t been uploaded yet. I was going to take on that project but I can’t figure out how to “add child page” correctly, and don’t wanna piss off cop-collaborating admins. wink

Steven.'s picture
Steven.
Feb 18 2013 19:33
sabot wrote:
Reddebrek wrote:
I personally think they'd be of interest has anyone else seen an in-depth study into the role of architecture in a regimes oppression?

Probably not what you're looking for but there's the Architecture and Nationality chapter in Rocker's Nationalism and Culture that deals with architecture styles and social forms from the Greek ideal to the modern factory within the framework of the “national idea.” Unfortunately, the latter chapters in Book II haven’t been uploaded yet. I was going to take on that project but I can’t figure out how to “add child page” correctly, and don’t wanna piss off cop-collaborating admins. ;)

hi, seriously any problems you have adding content we will sort out. I mean it's pretty straightforward, in Nationalism and culture, just go to the book you want to add the chapters to (book I or II) then click add child page and add the chapter.

If you get anything wrong we will sort it and it won't take long. But seriously don't be put off posting stuff, the remaining chapters of that book would be great!

Reddebrek's picture
Reddebrek
Feb 25 2013 22:32

Ok then I'll leave it awhile then till videos are fixed. After thinking some more about it I think they would be suitable it doesn't endorse any political viewpoint other then possibly "Meadesism" groucho And it avoids overt glorification of Western Liberalism.

sabot's picture
sabot
Feb 26 2013 00:44
Steven. wrote:
sabot wrote:
Reddebrek wrote:

Probably not what you're looking for but there's the Architecture and Nationality chapter in Rocker's Nationalism and Culture that deals with architecture styles and social forms from the Greek ideal to the modern factory within the framework of the “national idea.” Unfortunately, the latter chapters in Book II haven’t been uploaded yet. I was going to take on that project but I can’t figure out how to “add child page” correctly, and don’t wanna piss off cop-collaborating admins. ;)

hi, seriously any problems you have adding content we will sort out. I mean it's pretty straightforward, in Nationalism and culture, just go to the book you want to add the chapters to (book I or II) then click add child page and add the chapter.

If you get anything wrong we will sort it and it won't take long. But seriously don't be put off posting stuff, the remaining chapters of that book would be great!

Yeah, I don't know what happened then. If I remember right, I just clicking the add child page and it ended up saving it as it's own article. Anyways, you're right. Maybe I'll have just another go at it.