Libcommunity forum/tracker

47 posts / 0 new
Last post
wraeth's picture
wraeth
Jan 30 2008 18:30
Libcommunity forum/tracker

I seem to have lost any new posts on Libcommunity from all the tracker options, but I can access them via 'forums > 'Libcommunity'.

Can anyone suggest why?

Choccy's picture
Choccy
Jan 30 2008 19:00

Cos GDID, Gregg, Jef, and BobSavage pretty much ruined that forum 2 weeks ago.

I tried to stop them, but there was too many. Bad boys, very bad boys.

Mike Harman
Jan 30 2008 19:06

http://libcom.org/forums/feedback-content/filters-tracker-function-19012008

Choccy's picture
Choccy
Jan 30 2008 19:11

Yeah nice one lads, thanks for ruining the internet again.

I've said before, the move makes sense. You can still go in and see which topics have new rediculous posts in Libcommunity, they just don't get in the way of the tracker function. Fair enough.

wraeth's picture
wraeth
Jan 30 2008 19:17

OK, I can see the point of taking it off 'new posts'. I didn't realise that you'd done that.

But the Libcommunity option in the tracker doesn't jump you to the forum.

Mike Harman
Jan 30 2008 19:22

What libcommunity option?

The select list is to exclude forums, not jump you anywhere.

wraeth's picture
wraeth
Jan 30 2008 19:36
Mike Harman wrote:
What libcommunity option?

On the drop down menu from Explore

Mike Harman wrote:
The select list is to exclude forums, not jump you anywhere.

Well I obviously didn't understand what was meant on that thread link you posted by way of explanation - but I've now found what you were alluding to.

I haven't excluded any forums, I like picking what I read from all new posts. But just for the sake of experiment, I just excluded the forum with a title in another language.

I won't know if I can't read posts on that particular forum anymore - but it definitely hasn't restored the libcommunity forum posts to new posts etc.

Mike Harman
Jan 30 2008 19:51

wraeth: do you mean the forum block from here has gone? http://libcom.org/libcommunity

That index hasn't been worked on for a while.

On forums/tracker if you just exclude "bin" libcommunity will show up there (yes I know this is a bit strange since you haven't changed any settins). Also - it's only temporary, next time you visit the page it'll be reset.

anna x
Jan 30 2008 21:58
Quote:
Cos GDID, Gregg, Jef, and BobSavage pretty much ruined that forum 2 weeks ago.

I tried to stop them, but there was too many. Bad boys, very bad boys.

grin

xConorx - I seriously can't work out how you've gotten this far without having the shit beaten out of you for your compulsive dobbing in of others. "It wasn't me miss, it was GDID, gregg, Bob Savage and Jef"
roll eyes
all the best.
gregg.

Choccy's picture
Choccy
Jan 30 2008 23:17

STAND UP AND TAKE RESPONSIBILITY FOR YOUR ACTIONS GREGG.
I had nothing to do with your debauchery!

anna x
Jan 30 2008 23:24

I know you are but what am I? tongue

Bob Savage's picture
Bob Savage
Jan 31 2008 00:27

i didn't see nothin

Choccy's picture
Choccy
Jan 31 2008 00:30

I saw you right there Bob - you were the ringleader!

Bob Savage's picture
Bob Savage
Jan 31 2008 00:32

i ain't sayin nothin

jef costello's picture
jef costello
Jan 31 2008 01:49

Bob, Conor done dime us to five o yo, we got to regulate angry

Bob Savage's picture
Bob Savage
Jan 31 2008 02:03

it's bullshit, straight up and down. snitches get stitches, and i ain't saying no more than that. yanahmean?

jef costello's picture
jef costello
Jan 31 2008 02:13

for real he got to get got.

Choccy's picture
Choccy
Jan 31 2008 02:36

I'm merely doing my civic duty.
Officer, they were speaking a funny language.. I.... I think.... I think it was asian... yeah they were speaking asian.

wraeth's picture
wraeth
Jan 31 2008 19:40

Fucks sake angry

It's not like I'm claiming that I can't login, or send a PM, or organise some drinks or anything angry I haven't used the hxxors word angry

Button's noticed it too, but he's too scared of catch to say anything black bloc

wraeth's picture
wraeth
Jan 31 2008 19:43

I haz got screen dumpz cool cool

the button's picture
the button
Jan 31 2008 19:50
wraeth wrote:
Button's noticed it too, but he's too scared of catch to say anything black bloc

I just assumed that the boyz (and zobag, of course) were taking away functionality as a practical alternative to moderation.

wraeth's picture
wraeth
Jan 31 2008 20:01
the button wrote:
wraeth wrote:

I just assumed that the boyz (and zobag, of course) were taking away functionality as a practical alternative to moderation.

And when anyone notices and asks what's going on, refer them to a lengthy thread completely devoid of any practical explanation eek

It's a conspiracy. Probably summat Jack did on a few too many Wetherspoons marghueritas.

the button's picture
the button
Jan 31 2008 21:25

Nah. No pictures of his arsehole.

Choccy's picture
Choccy
Jan 31 2008 22:05
the button wrote:

Yeah that way it'll cut down on useless posters like me so there'll be less to moderate - good thinking admins!

wraeth's picture
wraeth
Feb 1 2008 06:15
the button wrote:
wraeth wrote:

The consequences of homoerotica cry

wraeth's picture
wraeth
Feb 1 2008 06:19

Wouldn't it have been more pragmatic to make Libcommunity a forum that only registered users can access?

Mike Harman
Feb 1 2008 08:24
wraeth wrote:
Wouldn't it have been more pragmatic to make Libcommunity a forum that only registered users can access?

Given how this site works, private forums is likely to require a hosting upgrade - since it wouldn't be making it a private forum, it'd be making everything private then opening it back up again apart from libcommunity (iyswim). It's a good idea, but I've just spent the past year getting it so we don't crash every day, so anything which might mess up performance is really low down on the list unless lots of people suddenly start setting up standing orders etc.

the button's picture
the button
Feb 1 2008 09:07

So how much for a private libcommunity forum, catch? I might consider stumping up if I get to be the sole moderator. wink

Mike Harman
Feb 1 2008 10:12

OK well we wouldn't ask money specifically for that (although we're unlikely to turn it down), but here's a quick run-down in case anyone's interested.

We currently run the site on 1/4 of a dedicated server for about £50-60/month. The next step up would be a full dedicated server, and it'd have to be quite a high spec one to make things worth it - this will cost more like £130-160/month + some setup.

I reckon we can keep going with what we're using and manage about 25-50% more traffic/month if most of it's casual visitors (so 300k visits, 1.4 million pages). Logged in users take a lot more server resources because everything's customised every time you view a page, so if we suddenly got loads more heavy users it'd work a little differently but probably about the same in terms of proportion. There's not much we can do about traffic either way, but the trend has been upwards for the past couple of years if you discount the hack.

In terms of private forums, it's not so much about handling traffic, it's more about the database taking up much more resources per-page request - because it has to check who has access to something every time someone views a page, on top of everything else. This is going to be similar for some social networking stuff like profiles, forum moderators, that sort of thing. At the moment that's our main issue in terms of server resources which is why I'll not be rushing to add stuff like this - especially when it's something we won't be able to reverse like private forums. Technologically it's not going to be hard to do though once we've upgraded the software, which'll be starting sometime between March - June. I'm planning to work on this kind of stuff as soon as that's done (probably profiles first though), and might have a better idea of performance implications by then.

arf
Feb 4 2008 16:50

does it cost that much to have this place?? blimey. i feel like i should contribute something. are there ways of saving money then, like you said if were logged in that uses more, so if i only login when i want to respond to a thread instead of always being logged in would that be better? and never keep private messages etc?

sorry if this is all really basic stuff i should already know..

Mike Harman
Feb 4 2008 17:52
Quote:
does it cost that much to have this place?? blimey. i feel like i should contribute something. are there ways of saving money then, like you said if were logged in that uses more, so if i only login when i want to respond to a thread instead of always being logged in would that be better? and never keep private messages etc?

Well it doesn't quite work like that. Generally I think our server can handle quite a bit more traffic than it currently does - maybe 50-100% more, especially as I did some performance tuning the past two weeks which made it faster (instead of crashing it, for once wink ).That counts for casual visitors and logged in users.

The thing that takes up most resources - and indirectly money - is the complexity of the site mixed with the size of the database. PMs are an example although they probably don't make a lot of difference in practice. Every time you view a page, the system checks the database to see if you have new pms or not. The more pms there are, the more work it has to do to find out (sort of, again this isn't really accurate for simple checks like that, but it's ok for an example). Something like the search definitely gets slower and more resource intensive the more posts and comments there are though - since it has to check a lot of complex information to return the results, and we aren't google. Some things we'd like to add is like pms (lots of little checks, and taking up a bit of space - space is cheap) - some are more like the search engine interpreting lots of complex data - it's that stuff that will eventually cost money.

So basically - if we got a sudden spike of traffic and users (like another CPE-like event) - we might have to upgrade, maybe - current users would be somewhat dwarfed in terms of resources used. It's more likely that we'll have to upgrade due to adding layers of complexity and eventually require more resources for those - so stuff like private forums, user profiles etc. even with fairly static traffic, although it's hard to say what if anything would tip us over the edge. If both happen, then we definitely will at some point. At a certain point, the amount of users and how much work the server does per page intersects, but to be honest that goes over my head a bit in terms of any practical implications.

I hope that explains things a bit - I'd like to be able to give more clear cut answers, but I don't actually know. Even professional web developers treat actual server performance as a bit voodoo. The best thing we could have in terms of funding an eventual upgrade and general running costs is a lot of small standing orders of a couple of quid + per month, a bit like charity muggers ask for. We've been discussing making our actual costs a bit more transparent, and also fixing our donate page up a bit. Will try to get onto that.