Libcom movie

43 posts / 0 new
Last post
ites's picture
ites
Sep 18 2012 14:19
mons wrote:
This is great!
2 small bits of feedback. I just showed it to a friend who like most people doesn't know anything about our politics, and isn't exactly an avid reader, and she couldn't follow the text. It's too fast to read for lots of people probably. Also even if we're bad readers us libcom people will take it in faster cos we're not dealing with any new ideas. When you are reading stuff that is all new to you it takes longer if you want to understand it. For example, the idea of surplus value - the sentence with 'But we don't get paid... otherwise there would be nothing left over as profit for the bosses' - is explained really well and simply but is only there for a second and i doubt many people would get it just like that. Even just let the slide stay for longer, the text is really good.
I have no constructive ideas on what to cut to stop it getting longer though, but if loads of people wouldn't read it or digest it at least then it becomes pointless. Maybe the end bits of the examples could be shorter?
Quality soundtrack too.

Thanks, glad you like. I don't think I can make it any longer because it already runs to 5 1/2 minutes and that's stretching it beyond what people thought the ideal length would be as it is. If it grabs people hopefully they'll go back and watch it again, or even click on the link and read the webpage. I'd prefer not to shorten the examples at the end because I think they demonstrate that the politics have real practical meaning as well as illustrating the broad thrusts of the tendencies of mutual aid and solidarity referred to beforehand.

Steven.'s picture
Steven.
Oct 18 2012 20:11

Hey, really sorry this feedback is so late! I have been on holiday, then super busy, then ill.

So basically we really like this, and it is down to a good length. Just a couple of minor things we would like to change:
- instead of New York 2011, how about you swap it for Chile today? As what happened in New York was not a mass uprising but a small marginal protest movement (still laudable, but not comparable with the others)
- with Chiapas 1994 could you swap the photo of Marcos with another photo of peasants instead? To avoid being seen to be supportive of Marcos or leaders as such
- if you wanted to have some US stuff in there, you could have Seattle 1919 perhaps?
- And if you wanted to put South Korea back in that would be okay as well, as it wouldn't push the time up too far.
- With the libcom screenshot could you put in this one? http://imgur.com/g19YH just so it has articles about workers fighting back, rather than getting killed!

With the text moving too fast for some people, we could just put a link to the full introduction text on the site under the video.

How do those things sound?

ites's picture
ites
Oct 21 2012 03:12
Steven. wrote:
Hey, really sorry this feedback is so late! I have been on holiday, then super busy, then ill.

So basically we really like this, and it is down to a good length. Just a couple of minor things we would like to change:
- instead of New York 2011, how about you swap it for Chile today? As what happened in New York was not a mass uprising but a small marginal protest movement (still laudable, but not comparable with the others)
- with Chiapas 1994 could you swap the photo of Marcos with another photo of peasants instead? To avoid being seen to be supportive of Marcos or leaders as such
- if you wanted to have some US stuff in there, you could have Seattle 1919 perhaps?
- And if you wanted to put South Korea back in that would be okay as well, as it wouldn't push the time up too far.
- With the libcom screenshot could you put in this one? http://imgur.com/g19YH just so it has articles about workers fighting back, rather than getting killed!

With the text moving too fast for some people, we could just put a link to the full introduction text on the site under the video.

How do those things sound?

No worries, sound good. Will get onto them when I get a chance.

ites's picture
ites
Nov 24 2012 04:18
ites wrote:
Steven. wrote:

Sorry about the delay, will get into this today.

ites's picture
ites
Dec 4 2012 15:18

Okay, 'today' turned into a week, but here's what I came up with.

ites wrote:
ites wrote:
Steven. wrote:

Sorry about the delay, will get into this today.

Lurch
Dec 10 2012 20:22

Now this work has integrated Libcom feedback, some general comments.

I think this vid is a really powerful argument for focussing anger/unease into political reflection/activity and, as a 'marketing tool' for Libcom (nothing wrong with that), has done a really useful work.

IMO, it's still got too much quick-fire text - a product of wanting to say too much in one communication - but the vid I'm pushing suffers from too much v/o - a surfeit of words.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=skzzrDCSqlE&feature=youtu.be

Anyway: here's hoping we can exchange ideas to make mutually better agit-prop.

ites's picture
ites
Dec 11 2012 08:04

Yeah well it's only a first effort, and one that I did off my own bat at that. If threads like these want to suggest or plan other ideas or concepts for trailers and shorts to make I'm more than happy to work together with others to collaborate on things that are more of a collective effort.

ites's picture
ites
Dec 12 2012 05:29

How are we looking in terms of a final verdict?

ites wrote:
Steven. wrote:

Steven.'s picture
Steven.
Dec 12 2012 11:11

Hey, it's great, thanks! Unfortunately, the person who does our video section has just had his laptop die so he isn't able to put it in our video section yet. Hopefully we can sort this sometime soon. But yes we are very happy with the final product!

ites's picture
ites
Dec 16 2012 07:55

Awesome, no worries!

ites's picture
ites
Feb 12 2013 08:08
Steven. wrote:
Hey, it's great, thanks! Unfortunately, the person who does our video section has just had his laptop die so he isn't able to put it in our video section yet. Hopefully we can sort this sometime soon. But yes we are very happy with the final product!

Has that laptop issue been fixed? The movie has been sitting there for a couple of months now..