Libcom movie

I just made one; check it out and let me know what you think:

Mr. Jolly's picture
Mr. Jolly
Sep 5 2012 12:10

Good work.

no1
Sep 5 2012 12:52

This is pretty good! Sometimes the longer bits of text aren't displayed for long enough though.

Mr. Jolly's picture
Mr. Jolly
Sep 5 2012 13:54

A couple of the stock video effects are a bit cheezy I would dump them. But otherwise great.

Dannny
Sep 5 2012 16:23

Yeah it's boss

Steven.'s picture
Steven.
Sep 5 2012 18:01

Hey, thanks for doing this we appreciate it!

As a libcom group, we could give you some feedback to be incorporated if that was cool?

ites's picture
ites
Sep 5 2012 21:08
Steven. wrote:
Hey, thanks for doing this we appreciate it!

As a libcom group, we could give you some feedback to be incorporated if that was cool?

Pleasure. Yeah absolutely; I'm more than happy to incorporate whatever comments, criticisms, suggestions etc people want to make.

Serge Forward's picture
Serge Forward
Sep 5 2012 21:53

Likee smile

Minor criticism... it gets a bit text heavy, particularly towards the end. Mebbe split those frames into two or three parts.

Choccy's picture
Choccy
Sep 5 2012 22:53

I thought this was going to be film about a bunch of wankers sitting at their computers arguing sad

ites's picture
ites
Sep 5 2012 23:35
iexist wrote:
no1 wrote:
This is pretty good! Sometimes the longer bits of text aren't displayed for long enough though.

same, though I read slow so that would be a problem no matter what

Yeah; I've designed both sections to fit in with the length of the songs so there's only so much time to squeeze everything in. If you can pinpoint the times of any sections you find particularly problematic I'll see what I can do in terms of giving them a bit more screen time.

Serge Forward wrote:
Likee smile

Minor criticism... it gets a bit text heavy, particularly towards the end. Mebbe split those frames into two or three parts.

Will see what I can do; again length of songs issue. Maybe I could throw in 'a las barricadas' at the end which would give us another minute or so, or maybe just throw the text up without any soundtrack at all.

Choccy wrote:
I thought this was going to be film about a bunch of wankers sitting at their computers arguing :(

Sorry to disappoint; could always make another one specifically about the Oceania forum when this one is done.

ites's picture
ites
Sep 5 2012 23:35
iexist wrote:
no1 wrote:

same, though I read slow so that would be a problem no matter what

Yeah; I've designed both sections to fit in with the length of the songs so there's only so much time to squeeze everything in. If you can pinpoint the times of any sections you find particularly problematic I'll see what I can do in terms of giving them a bit more screen time.

Serge Forward wrote:
Likee smile

Will see what I can do; again length of songs issue. Maybe I could throw in 'a las barricadas' at the end which would give us another minute or so, or maybe just throw the text up without any soundtrack at all.

Choccy wrote:
I thought this was going to be film about a bunch of wankers sitting at their computers arguing :(

Sorry to disappoint; could always make another one specifically about the Oceania forum when this one is done.

Serge Forward's picture
Serge Forward
Sep 6 2012 07:48
Choccy wrote:

You almost made me spit my coffee out with that Mr. T

the button's picture
the button
Sep 6 2012 10:14
Serge Forward wrote:
Choccy wrote:

It should definitely feature that "What we do/What we think we do" meme. grin

ites's picture
ites
Sep 6 2012 10:15
Serge Forward wrote:
Choccy wrote:

Alright if we focus on a constructive critique of the movie?

ites's picture
ites
Sep 6 2012 10:31
Mr. Jolly wrote:
A couple of the stock video effects are a bit cheezy I would dump them. But otherwise great.

Which ones?

Entdinglichung's picture
Entdinglichung
Sep 6 2012 10:38
Choccy wrote:

don't insult wankers by associating them with LibCom! smile

ites's picture
ites
Sep 6 2012 13:19
Entdinglichung wrote:
Choccy wrote:

don't insult wankers by associating them with LibCom! :-)

If you don't like Libcom why are you here?

Entdinglichung's picture
Entdinglichung
Sep 6 2012 13:45
ites wrote:
Entdinglichung wrote:
Choccy wrote:

don't insult wankers by associating them with LibCom! :-)

If you don't like Libcom why are you here?

irony

Auld-bod's picture
Auld-bod
Sep 6 2012 17:24

ites: don’t be too touchy, no one has actually said they don’t like the movie! I think it is terrific, though in the time allocated found reading all the text taxing.

Suggestions: too much on the street fighting in Paris ’68, much over over-rated IMO. Insert something on Zapata!

Tim Finnegan's picture
Tim Finnegan
Sep 6 2012 18:12

Why Zapata?

Auld-bod's picture
Auld-bod
Sep 6 2012 21:15

Tim Fin:
A good question unfortunately I do not have a definitive answer.

I just thought the Americas were under-represented.

A quick viewing shows reference to: 1 Argentina; 2 South Africa; 3 UK; 4 Argentina; 5 Greece; 6 South Korea; 7 Portugal; 8 France; 9 Hungry; 10 Spain; 11 Russia; 12 France (all presented in historical sequence – if that’s the correct expression). The list appears a bit Eurocentric to me. I also prefer peasants doing it for themselves rather than being prompted by the student intelligentsia! (Sorry that’s my prejudices showing!)

Another small point - the photo captioned 'helping a stranger carrying a pram down a flight of stairs', looks to me as if they are travelling up.

Steven.'s picture
Steven.
Sep 6 2012 21:56

Hey, again, thanks, wish I had more time to give more detailed feedback but am about to go on holiday and have so much to finish before I go it's ridiculous.

But basically overall we like it a lot. But in general terms, we think it's a bit too long - something 5 min or less would be better we think. You could miss out some of the text which isn't really needed. For example nearing the end the stuff describing what the site is about in more technical terms (i.e. news, analysis, over 10,000 articles etc) isn't really necessary. What's important for a video like this we think is the more inspirational stuff ("this site is for you, us etc".

And with the images, we like the photographs, however the images which are more like lefty graphics, or images with slogans on them already we don't think work so well. Like the one with the illustrations of the men between bars with "99%" or something similar on the right-hand side, or the "we said the wealth would trickle down" ones. So if they could be swapped for other photographs that would be great.

Regarding what the poster above says, with the pram image, they are technically correct - feel free to just change our text to say "up a flight of stairs" instead of down, as that is probably easier than trying to find a new image!

ites's picture
ites
Sep 7 2012 08:44

Thanks for all the comments and suggestions. Revised version here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BifcqEjoxO4&feature=youtu.be

Didn't manage to get it under 5 minutes but came as close as I could.

snipfool
Sep 7 2012 11:17

This is good. And you introduced me to Killer Mike. My only minor gripe is that the quality is quite low- is it possible to improve that or are you limited by some of the photos used?

ites's picture
ites
Sep 7 2012 12:10
snipfool wrote:
This is good. And you introduced me to Killer Mike. My only minor gripe is that the quality is quite low- is it possible to improve that or are you limited by some of the photos used?

Good point. Here's a higher res version.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6QlT3Nd9WVY

Communard
Sep 7 2012 23:23

some pics about italian '77? was pretty huge, and it could appeal more italian audience wink

jesuithitsquad's picture
jesuithitsquad
Sep 8 2012 01:48

Any ideas why youtube is saying mobile view not available?

Kronstadt_Kid's picture
Kronstadt_Kid
Sep 8 2012 09:16
ites wrote:
Serge Forward wrote:
Choccy wrote:

He was saying that Choccy made him laugh with his joke.

ites's picture
ites
Sep 12 2012 23:41

Potentially final version:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r6FDivlUWFo

Serge Forward's picture
Serge Forward
Sep 13 2012 11:44
Kronstadt_Kid wrote:
ites wrote:
Serge Forward wrote:
Choccy wrote:

He was saying that Choccy made him laugh with his joke.

Aye, ites has made a decent film there and I take my hat off... but for his/her next project, I strongly suggest the comrade avoids aiming for comedy gold grin

mons
Sep 13 2012 19:47

This is great!
2 small bits of feedback. I just showed it to a friend who like most people doesn't know anything about our politics, and isn't exactly an avid reader, and she couldn't follow the text. It's too fast to read for lots of people probably. Also even if we're bad readers us libcom people will take it in faster cos we're not dealing with any new ideas. When you are reading stuff that is all new to you it takes longer if you want to understand it. For example, the idea of surplus value - the sentence with 'But we don't get paid... otherwise there would be nothing left over as profit for the bosses' - is explained really well and simply but is only there for a second and i doubt many people would get it just like that. Even just let the slide stay for longer, the text is really good.
I have no constructive ideas on what to cut to stop it getting longer though, but if loads of people wouldn't read it or digest it at least then it becomes pointless. Maybe the end bits of the examples could be shorter?
Quality soundtrack too.