IWW group subforum?

15 posts / 0 new
Last post
klas batalo's picture
klas batalo
Nov 9 2012 20:37
IWW group subforum?

Might it be cool to have an Industrial Workers of the World subforum in the groups section?

Sorry if this is treading familiar territory from threads years past, but there has been a lot of content in last few years from IWW members (especially Recomposition folks), Juan has just been made an a Libcom.org collective member, and it generally would be pretty awesome to have a forum that IWW members could use.

If it was to exist it should obviously be for discussion about the IWW, not an official organizational forum in any way. But yeah I just think it'd be awesome and of good use for many of here.

Chilli Sauce's picture
Chilli Sauce
Nov 9 2012 21:09

I remember the old IWW subforum, got pretty nasty towards the end...

klas batalo's picture
klas batalo
Nov 10 2012 02:02

Ah...see no memory of that...pre-2007?

Chilli Sauce's picture
Chilli Sauce
Nov 10 2012 11:19

Might of lasted til 2008?

It sort of went tits-up because

(1) the forum culture was then pretty fucked and aggresive

(2) There were some utter, utter jackasses from the IWW who frequented the forums. If you were around then, you know who I mean.

(3) Shit kicked off when the UK IWW decided to get registered with the state and it all came out about the no-strike clauses in the US.

I've got to be honest though, the IWW (certainly in the UK) still kicks up it's fair share controversy and I'm not sure inviting that back onto libcom would be such a great thing.

Steven.'s picture
Steven.
Nov 10 2012 18:27

Yeah, there used to be one but the IWW (UK I believe) asked us to close it down. It was a bit of a mess…

That said, if wobblies wanted we could probably set one up again, either an official or unofficial one. Or of course they are just welcome to use these forums as a whole!

Juan Conatz's picture
Juan Conatz
Nov 10 2012 19:12

I don't see the point really. I understand there's a lack of Wobbly forums, but libcom could not be a solution to that.

syndicalist
Nov 10 2012 21:10

It would be entertaining and interesting.

x359594's picture
x359594
Nov 10 2012 21:47

I agree with syndicalist.

Spikymike
Nov 11 2012 17:04

It would be worthwhile reviewing the sub-forums from time to time to see if any of them might be removed/added-to or amalgamated.

The Autonomous Student one seems to be little used at present for instance? Given there is a SolFed one is there a need also for a separate 'anarcho-syndicalism' one or could there perhaps be just one for ' radical union organising' or similar that might work for the IWW? Do SolFed and AF actually need sub-groups at all rather than perhaps just more permanent links to their own web-sites or perhaps just two sub-groups one for specific anarchist groups and one for anarcho-syndicalist groups? Lots of possibilities I suppose?

Generally libcom works well throught the other themed groups by encouraging a bit more cross working/discussion between different tendencies rather than splitting them off.

Ed's picture
Ed
Nov 11 2012 17:17
Chilli Sauce wrote:
It sort of went tits-up because

(1) the forum culture was then pretty fucked and aggresive

(2) There were some utter, utter jackasses from the IWW who frequented the forums. If you were around then, you know who I mean.

(3) Shit kicked off when the UK IWW decided to get registered with the state and it all came out about the no-strike clauses in the US.

I've got to be honest though, the IWW (certainly in the UK) still kicks up it's fair share controversy and I'm not sure inviting that back onto libcom would be such a great thing.

My own personal opinion is that a lot has changed since those dark days. For problems 1 and 2, I think the moderating and general culture these days is better than it was then, so hopefully that would mitigate against too much shit-talk. I mean, people who really insisted on acting like arseholes would just get banned.

About controversial IWW shit, I don't know, I guess there still is some but we've recently given IWW Europe a blog with little problems and I hope that these days we'd be able to discuss things a more open and amicable way than in the past. I generally regard the UK IWW as 'comrades' (hate that word, sounds cultish) and think everyone would benefit from discussing organising tactics and campaigns with people from different groups. Like say, it'd be great if Pizza Hut Wobs shared their experiences.

That said, first of all there would have to be interest from the IWW side. If there is, then us libcom admins will definitely discuss it.

Reddebrek's picture
Reddebrek
Dec 28 2012 10:05

"That said, first of all there would have to be interest from the IWW side. If there is, then us libcom admins will definitely discuss it. "

Well for me I'd find such a forum useful, I'm kind of on my own out here so a way to contact and discuss with other Wobblies would be useful.

Chilli Sauce's picture
Chilli Sauce
Jan 1 2013 12:41

Does the IWW still have the internal forums on iww.org?

thegonzokid's picture
thegonzokid
Jan 1 2013 15:33
Spikymike wrote:
Do SolFed and AF actually need sub-groups at all rather than perhaps just more permanent links to their own web-sites or perhaps just two sub-groups one for specific anarchist groups and one for anarcho-syndicalist groups?

Personally I think it would be better to re-format the sub-groups as bulletin boards for the various groups. For some people, libcom is the first place they stumble across when they get interested in anarchist/libcom ideas, so its handy to have somewhere other than our own websites to post things that might be of interest. I've got a mandate to publicise SolFed stuff but I'm mindful that putting loads of stuff in the news/organise/announcements forums would be irritating and would be perceived by some as spamming.

Chilli Sauce's picture
Chilli Sauce
Jan 1 2013 17:20

I like that. I also think it fits in with the sort of re-design libcom has undergone in the past few years, ie a move away from a forum-centric website towards ones based on blogs, library, etc.

Spikymike
Mar 5 2013 16:05

I think it's important to keep the cross-cutting discussion forums such as 'news' 'organising' 'theory' 'announcements' etc but it is surely, as I suggested in my earlier post No9, time to review the sub-forums for Groups.

To start with get rid of the defunct Autonomous Student Forum.