Injokes etc

20 posts / 0 new
Last post
JoeMaguire's picture
JoeMaguire
Mar 22 2010 01:14
Injokes etc

Mini discussion about libcom today and I realise that while there as been a major development in the politics and weeding away the excesses of what passes as the anarchist movement and this place as developed its own niche etc. I think that one major reason that puts people off the forum is the constant injokes which seem to spill out onto a number of the threads. There are even people who use this site solely for recreational reasons, which I dont think fits with the ethos of the site tbh. It comes across as a bit of a social club, which if your not directly involved can be quite alienating. Now I know quite a number of the core people who post on the site, and I know there is social side to all of this but does it need to make an appearance anywhere other than Libcommunity?

It would be really cool to see if future campaigns etc could feel they could use the site (think visteon) but its tarred by allowing some threads to get over personalised etc. Ive never really had a gripe with the moderation, because I think in comparison ABC goes the wrong way, but doesn't this need to be reviewed? Some threads are going to come up on google when people search for topics and to have to wade through a number of insular posts is not a good impression to leave people with, especially when they might take a shine to the politics.

Steven.'s picture
Steven.
Mar 23 2010 18:28

can you point out some practical examples of what you mean. I agree with the thrust of what you are saying, but thought things like that had been quite well confined to libcommunity for the past several months-year. If you show us the sort of thing you mean we will be better equipped to deal with it. We also added the ability for users to report inappropriate posts.

Boris Badenov
Mar 24 2010 00:31
october_lost wrote:
There are even people who use this site solely for recreational reasons, which I dont think fits with the ethos of the site tbh.

Tbh most people probably use it for "recreational reasons" (i.e. reasons unrelated to organizing issues). This is the internet after all.
I really haven't noticed any "injokes" lately (does notch8 mentioning having a beer with someone on the "British militarism" thread count?), and libcommunity itself seems strangely comatose.
Bad moment for a revolesque denunciation of "the culture of libcommunity" methinks.

oisleep's picture
oisleep
Mar 24 2010 01:03
Quote:
Tbh most people probably use it for "recreational reasons" " (i.e. reasons unrelated to organizing issues)

that's a pity because i use it to improve my lives, my communities and my working conditions

Boris Badenov
Mar 24 2010 01:07
oisleep wrote:
Quote:
Tbh most people probably use it for "recreational reasons" " (i.e. reasons unrelated to organizing issues)

that's a pity because i use it to improve my lives, my communities and my working conditions

lol

oisleep's picture
oisleep
Mar 24 2010 01:10
Quote:
lol

Boris Badenov
Mar 24 2010 01:12
oisleep wrote:
Quote:
lol

still funny, surprisingly.

oisleep's picture
oisleep
Mar 24 2010 01:13
Quote:

petey
Mar 24 2010 01:16

how many 'lives' do you have?

oisleep's picture
oisleep
Mar 24 2010 01:16

petey
Mar 24 2010 01:19

crikey!

Boris Badenov
Mar 24 2010 01:20
oisleep wrote:
Quote:

I gotta say, all the mindless copypasting in the world can't ruin the hilarity of libcom's "homely" and cleverly apolitical statement of purpose.

"Libcom is a place for people who want to help other people and also themselves. It's a good thing."

Nah, I can't do it.

oisleep's picture
oisleep
Mar 24 2010 01:21
Vlad336 wrote:

I gotta say, all the mindless copypasting in the world can't ruin the hilarity of libcom's "homely" and cleverly apolitical statement of purpose.

"Libcom is a place for people who want to help other people and also themselves. It's a good thing."

Nah, I can't do it.

jef costello's picture
jef costello
Mar 24 2010 01:28

oisleep as Mr Lustbather tribute act? Not working.
In terms of the 'culture' on here there have been a few threads in news and announcements that have been derailed over the last six months or so but not a large number. I can't think of any recently but there's not a lot happening on here really. Mods here nearly always say that over the last year things have improved though smile

Boris Badenov
Mar 24 2010 01:37
oisleep wrote:

I wonder what a scenario where that would literally be true, would look like...

satisfied customer wrote:
Today I woke up feeling a bit down and thought about ending it all, but then I logged in on libcom and realized that at least I'm not in the ICC or a middle-aged situationist. Things could be worse, I thought, and it's a bright sunny day outside!
It didn't take long to notice that my community lacks revolutionary spirit though. Nothing Libcom can't solve, I thought, and I was right! Inspired by THEOUTLAW and Brighton Solfed, I was able to organize a march through my community. Boy, what fun that was! Mental flags everywhere and people being happy. Then BAM! we moved to the next community and improved the fuck out of it too. Work is really not much fun but thanks to libcom I now know that stealing paperclips undermines the logic of capitalism. I already have two full garbage bags of them at home, and am expecting the revolution any day now. Thank you, Libcom!
petey
Mar 24 2010 01:40
jef costello wrote:
oisleep as Mr Lustbather tribute act?

now see that's an in-joke right there.

Boris Badenov
Mar 24 2010 16:38

this thread = FULL self-fulfilling prophecy

Farce's picture
Farce
Mar 24 2010 18:29

As I've mentioned, my work blocks gmail and facebook but not libcom, so having access to valuable lulz definitely improves my work conditions. Or at least it would be if anything funny had actually happened on libcom since about the 6th of February.

Tojiah's picture
Tojiah
Mar 24 2010 21:34

I think things here have improved in the past year or so, mostly because the admins have been moving threads like these over to libcommunity, hint-hint

Mike Harman
Mar 25 2010 08:06
jef costello wrote:
Mods here nearly always say that over the last year things have improved though :)

It's possible for both of those statements to be true wink