DONATE NOW TO HELP UPGRADE LIBCOM.ORG

Forums wish list

24 posts / 0 new
Last post
libcom's picture
libcom
Aug 20 2006 08:36
Forums wish list

post them here. I'm a bit busier from next week onwards, but it'd help to have everything in one place anyway.

The main thing, and one of the hardest, is "jump to last post". I'm going to try to get that running today, but it's going to be a hacky job so bear with it a bit.

Other stuff - posting comments redirecting to your comment instead of the first page of the thread. Again with a bit of luck I'll get that going today, again it might disappear when we upgrade and have to be done again.

Not really a forums issue, but the "double log in" thing I've found other reports of this on drupal.org - it's a software issue so there'll either be a fix we can use soon or it'll probably work in the next upgrade.

Anything else post it here - ideally a description of "what phpbb used to do" or, "could we have this?" - the clearer it is the more chance there is of us being able to fix it. Try to keep it to actual requests about the forums if possible.

libcom's picture
libcom
Aug 20 2006 10:07
revol68 wrote:
can we edit out posts without them dropping down to be the latest post?

That should be pretty easy to fix I think. I'm pretty sure the timestamp changes when the comment is edited (sometimes at least), if we can stop that from happening it ought to fix it.

Quote:
Can we edit more than just our last post?

Trickier - if everyone has edit rights on forums, by default you also get a delete option. That'll delete the entire thread if you delete the first post, and any replies to a comment you made.

We need to find a way to give people "edit but not delete", then yeah we can do that.

Steven.'s picture
Steven.
Aug 20 2006 10:32

Get jump to first unread post working for threads of more than one page.

libcom's picture
libcom
Aug 20 2006 12:41

can we keep it to ones that haven't already been posted up on the thread as well wink

Steven.'s picture
Steven.
Aug 20 2006 13:00
libcom wrote:
can we keep it to ones that haven't already been posted up on the thread as well ;)

My one hasn't been up on the thread already, has it? :?

libcom's picture
libcom
Aug 20 2006 13:08
Quote:
The main thing, and one of the hardest, is "jump to last post". I'm going to try to get that running today, but it's going to be a hacky job so bear with it a bit.

Steven.'s picture
Steven.
Aug 20 2006 13:25
libcom wrote:
Quote:

No I said jump to first unread post, not last post on the thread. Ghostzart set up this latter one, which worked before the upgrade. The former is built in already (click "5 new" on thread/forum indexes) but only works for threads 1 page long.

Steven.'s picture
Steven.
Aug 20 2006 13:38

Also - displaying tags in top posts would be cool. I notice some people are tagging threads + doing it badly, so this would help editors fix them, as well as link to similar/related content.

libcom's picture
libcom
Aug 20 2006 13:43

Ah ok. Whatever Ghostzart did is what I'm going to try to redo today.

libcom's picture
libcom
Aug 20 2006 22:05

Well tried it, but somewhere along the line it's breaking - probably means they changed an important bit of forums code with the new version.

Jason Cortez
Aug 20 2006 22:46

Have page options at the top of the thread as well as the bottom ?

Joseph Kay's picture
Joseph Kay
Aug 21 2006 19:30

posts are collapsing blank lines again - i hit enter 5 times between the end of this sentence and the smilie

:?

jef costello's picture
jef costello
Aug 21 2006 19:36

Does it do it if you put a space on the line?

Only if these lines are seperated.

Steve
Aug 21 2006 19:38

I know I've mentioned this before but when you click on a link in a post it should open in a new window without having to right click 'open link in a new window'

libcom's picture
libcom
Aug 21 2006 19:43
Quote:
I know I've mentioned this before but when you click on a link in a post it should open in a new window without having to right click 'open link in a new window'

We set that but it messed up other stuff. There's another way to do it which is more complex and I've not looked at yet, but would work better.

You can always press shift when you click on a link to open it in a new window as well.

libcom's picture
libcom
Aug 21 2006 19:49

really?

I've not had that problem.

you should be able to see view counts on forum posts again by the way.

Steven.'s picture
Steven.
Aug 21 2006 22:30

One small thing - the URL button shouldn't automatically insert "http://", that fucks up most links...

Steven.'s picture
Steven.
Aug 22 2006 13:21

if we can't display tags in forum posts, i think we should disable them for non-admins for now because people are mis-using them and it's fucking up the tagging system...

lem
Aug 22 2006 15:59

Can I be invisible. Cheers.

neutral

libcom's picture
libcom
Aug 22 2006 17:31

I'll disable tags in forum posts altogether for now. I think the way we've got forums formatted to look flat might mess up the tag listings anyway.

lem, no you can't be invisible, it's a physical impossibility wink

ticking_fool
Aug 23 2006 13:32

Is there any way to stop binned posts showing up on the tracker page and of automatically locking them. People seem still to be responding to the two binned redforred posts and I nearly did it myself through not paying attention to where it was.

Cheers

jef costello's picture
jef costello
Aug 23 2006 13:55
ticking_fool wrote:
Is there any way to stop binned posts showing up on the tracker page and of automatically locking them. People seem still to be responding to the two binned redforred posts and I nearly did it myself through not paying attention to where it was.

Cheers

I hadn't realisd that stuff was banned.
Are you a fat nazi maths teacher by any chance ticking fool?

ticking_fool
Aug 23 2006 14:01
Quote:
Are you a fat nazi maths teacher by any chance ticking fool?

I've lost weight recently.