"Performance Artist" eats fox in protest against h

101 posts / 0 new
Last post
rebel_lion
Offline
Joined: 29-09-03
Dec 2 2004 16:46
"Performance Artist" eats fox in protest against h

WTF... TBH, i don't know whether this is sick or amusing...

The point about crackheads is actually quite a good point... what do people think?

http://www.reuters.co.uk/newsArticle.jhtml?type=oddlyEnoughNews&storyID=6964287&section=news&src=rss/uk/oddlyEnoughNews

Artist eats fox in protest

Wed 1 December, 2004 11:08

LONDON (Reuters) - Forget the soiled bedsheets and pickled animals, art has taken another outrageous turn in an example of the unspeakable swallowing the uneatable.

Performance artist Mark McGowan, who counts among his feats pushing a peanut along the road to Tony Blair's Downing street home with his nose, has eaten a fox, in protest at the public fixation with a government ban on fox hunting.

He described the roast fox, which he ate in public, as quite tasty, although he admitted to nearly vomiting at times.

"It was a bit like rack of lamb," he told Reuters on Wednesday. "The trouble was the retching noises from the other people in the room."

Too much attention is paid to fox hunting, he believes.

"One million people marched against fox hunting and another million marched for it. The housing estate where I live is full of crack-heads but no one marches to help them," he said.

"Everyone gets really worked up about a furry animal, but no one cares about each other."

McGowan plans to repeat the performance at an exhibition in London's Docklands on December 15.

JoeMaguire's picture
JoeMaguire
Offline
Joined: 26-09-03
Dec 2 2004 17:23
Quote:
Everyone gets really worked up about a furry animal, but no one cares about each other."

No one cares about each other, so we should not care about anything? This guy needs lamping.

JoeMaguire's picture
JoeMaguire
Offline
Joined: 26-09-03
Dec 2 2004 17:42
Jack wrote:
No, he's clearly saying we should care about humans instead of foxes.

Im against racism but does that stand that I should care about one community more than another? According to the logic of some people eek

We can play silly games like this forever, either fight *all* oppressions or just dont bother....it pisses me off that this knobhead seems to assume that you cant care for animals *and* humans - WHAT A TWAT angry

Mike Harman
Offline
Joined: 7-02-06
Dec 2 2004 17:48

If it was caught in London, it will have been eating some nasty shit before it died. Carnivores not nice to eat.

3rdseason
Offline
Joined: 19-09-03
Dec 2 2004 17:49

He pushed a peanut to downing street with his nose.

Enough said.

kalabine
Offline
Joined: 27-03-04
Dec 2 2004 17:56
Jack wrote:
No, he's clearly saying we should care about humans instead of foxes.

he's right too, though it's a shit way to make a point

the animal rights scum have set the agenda in this country for too long

nightowl
Offline
Joined: 2-04-04
Dec 2 2004 18:00

animal rights scum? why? confused

3rdseason
Offline
Joined: 19-09-03
Dec 2 2004 18:04
kalabine wrote:
the animal rights scum have set the agenda in this country for too long

roll eyes roll eyes roll eyes

Wendal
Offline
Joined: 4-11-04
Dec 2 2004 21:01

I think that it sounds like a shitty performance. There is no way he could get his message through without the description. He just did something specticular to get some atention and the he said what he wanted to say.

Another got reason to make everyone who want to an artist situationist-style instead of some highly educated wankers that seem to be no more of a profesional in his craft than some junkie from jackass.

lucy82
Offline
Joined: 31-05-04
Dec 2 2004 21:26

he ate a fox

so, people eat animals all the time.

he ate it for media press coverage cause he says people give a shit more about fox-hunting than people on crack..

he got the media coverage he wanted and i can see his point but he'd do better eating every member of local and national government who decides funding priorities for drug programmes, every so-called charitable grant organiser who decides where they will distribute their largesse...

(thats if hes taking a liberal perspective on things..)

actually, this story is nothing to do with foxes or foxhunting and everything to do with someone getting so fucked off that he does something media sensational

he's shot himself in the foot cause what he wants to say about the estate he lives on is one line, and the fox-eating gets pretty much the whole article.

pity really, cause maybe he isn't just some wanky wannabee artist and is trying to get real protest across about some shit he lives with. So, i'll give him the benefit of the doubt and apologies to the fox. If i was angry enough maybe i'd do it too.

i don't think people and foxes are equal, sorry...

redyred
Offline
Joined: 20-02-04
Dec 2 2004 23:27

Fox-eating man is my hero. Maybe performance art does have some value.

october_lost wrote:
Im against racism but does that stand that I should care about one community more than another? According to the logic of some people eek

So animals are a "community" of equal standing to victims of racism? Cock.

Wendal
Offline
Joined: 4-11-04
Dec 3 2004 00:10

We have an even worse example of political performance art in Sweden.

One of our exdocumentarysoap-actors wanted to make a piece of art to protest against prostitution so he went to Polen and bought and penetrated a bunch of prostitutes. confused "Nuff said"

nightowl
Offline
Joined: 2-04-04
Dec 3 2004 01:36

perhaps there wouldn't been a fixation with a hunting ban if labour had just got on with it in the first place, ignored the views of a bunch of tossers who were never going to vote for them and banned it. instead they've drawn the whole process out when there was absolutely no need to do so. if i was being very cynical i would say that this backlash against the anti-hunting brigade ('u care more about animals than humans', blah, blah, blah) is exactly what they were hoping for.

cantdocartwheels's picture
cantdocartwheels
Offline
Joined: 15-03-04
Dec 3 2004 01:58

Awesome

Wish i could get paid for eating foxes

Wendal
Offline
Joined: 4-11-04
Dec 3 2004 10:50
cantdocartwheels wrote:
Awesome

Wish i could get paid for eating foxes

Maybie you should ask the jack-ass blokes. They probably give you a quarter if they get to videotape you doing it. smile

JDMF's picture
JDMF
Offline
Joined: 21-05-04
Dec 3 2004 10:52

not a suprise, there are always people cashing in on controversy, and some people enjoy being in the position on controversy.

Like lucy said, big deal, he could have eaten a piece of cow, cat, chicken, dog or whatever instead and it would have been same difference in my eyes.

Same thing repeats itself on this board as well, when some people enjoy being in the role of controversy and like to poke fun at vegans/people who think current animal industry is morally and politically wrong. Arguing is a different thing, but making silly comments is just being an arse, childish, insecure or all of the above.

JDMF's picture
JDMF
Offline
Joined: 21-05-04
Dec 3 2004 11:39
Jack wrote:
You're just saying that because you wouldn't get me that burger, you skinny vegan fuck. 8)

you cheated, so no burger! Besides, i was banking on getting a good juicy vegan burger off Veggies catering, sadly they only served cold food to feed my skinny vegan arse, which left me rather cranky for the day.

redyred
Offline
Joined: 20-02-04
Dec 3 2004 11:56

Most likely they had a problem with their food going in an oven which once cooked meat.

JDMF's picture
JDMF
Offline
Joined: 21-05-04
Dec 3 2004 13:01
redyred wrote:
Most likely they had a problem with their food going in an oven which once cooked meat.

or no over at all.

They don't need an oven anyway, they usually have their own set, but i guess there was a problem with licences or something?

captainmission
Offline
Joined: 20-09-03
Dec 3 2004 13:15

off topic, but did i dream this or does J-LO have foxes for eyebrows?

JDMF's picture
JDMF
Offline
Joined: 21-05-04
Dec 3 2004 13:53
Jack wrote:
We should have eaten the crusties, then.

refresh my memory, but wasn't your hair last washed like few months before the bookfair? Between us, tt was getting a bit crusty, i mean no disrespect, i'm only being honest here wink

captain, i remember reading something about the fox hair eyebrows as well.

JoeMaguire's picture
JoeMaguire
Offline
Joined: 26-09-03
Dec 3 2004 18:02
redyred wrote:
Fox-eating man is my hero. Maybe performance art does have some value.
october_lost wrote:
Im against racism but does that stand that I should care about one community more than another? According to the logic of some people eek

So animals are a "community" of equal standing to victims of racism? Cock.

Ever heard of a metaphor?

Its used in this pretext for those who simply cant fathom equality can to some extent exist between different groups....

JoeMaguire's picture
JoeMaguire
Offline
Joined: 26-09-03
Dec 3 2004 18:06
lucy82 wrote:
i don't think people and foxes are equal, sorry...

Lucy that simply isnt the point at dispute, its a question of whether cruelty to animals can be justified, and this case was frankly shocking, especially in light of his rather strange comments

3rdseason
Offline
Joined: 19-09-03
Dec 3 2004 18:46
nightowl wrote:
perhaps there wouldn't been a fixation with a hunting ban if labour had just got on with it in the first place, ignored the views of a bunch of tossers who were never going to vote for them and banned it. instead they've drawn the whole process out when there was absolutely no need to do so.

They didnt drag out the process that was only cos of the house of lords (god it sounds like Im defending Tony but I just thought Id state facts).

redyred
Offline
Joined: 20-02-04
Dec 3 2004 20:23
october_lost wrote:
redyred wrote:
october_lost wrote:
Im against racism but does that stand that I should care about one community more than another? According to the logic of some people eek

So animals are a "community" of equal standing to victims of racism? Cock.

Ever heard of a metaphor?

Its used in this pretext for those who simply cant fathom equality can to some extent exist between different groups....

The point still stands. You're comparing differentiating between ethnic groups to differentiating between humans and animals. Which is complete bullshit.

JDMF's picture
JDMF
Offline
Joined: 21-05-04
Dec 6 2004 12:49
redyred wrote:
october_lost wrote:
redyred wrote:
october_lost wrote:
Im against racism but does that stand that I should care about one community more than another? According to the logic of some people eek

So animals are a "community" of equal standing to victims of racism? Cock.

Ever heard of a metaphor?

Its used in this pretext for those who simply cant fathom equality can to some extent exist between different groups....

The point still stands. You're comparing differentiating between ethnic groups to differentiating between humans and animals. Which is complete bullshit.

RR, you are being anal, had the metaphor been "your argument flows like a water though waste pipe" had you also pointed out how different spoken argument is from wastewater?

October_lost is trying to illustrate something using a metaphor, man, why everything has to be so complicated smile

And lucy, who on earth thinks humans and foxes are equal? Stupid journalist said once that she hates animal rightist because in a situation where a baby and a dog is drowning in a lake, they would save the dog - like what the fuck???

Firstly, of course animal rights person would save the baby, though having said that if it is your baby or my little sister drowning, i'd save my sister - no disrespect for your baby. But can't really drwa any political conclusions from this extreme example. And rather than taking part to this kind of stupic theoretical choices why not join a movement which is opposing the bastards who keeps throwing babies and dogs into a lake? (a metaphor!)

lucy82
Offline
Joined: 31-05-04
Dec 6 2004 13:55
Quote:
Firstly, of course animal rights person would save the baby,

seriously, JDMF, I had a massive argument once with someone who said they would save the dog..

couldn't believe it myself. and no disrespect to animal rights activists intended. i don't think that crazy woman was the norm.

i do agree with revol though about animal welfare, not liberation. i don't really get the idea of animal liberation, specieist as i am..

and i thought i was part of a movement that opposes the throwing of metophorical babies and dogs in metophorical lakes confused

3rdseason
Offline
Joined: 19-09-03
Dec 6 2004 14:58
revol68 wrote:
the whole notion of animal liberation is completely retarded! animals lacking the ability to organise themselves can never achieve liberation, it will always be animal welfare, the mimising of animal suffering.

If revol68 sedated a wild tiger and then put it in a pen and waited til it woke up then the tiger would liberate itself in a very messy fashion. (and it would make for good TV)

Wendal
Offline
Joined: 4-11-04
Dec 6 2004 15:17
revol68 wrote:
the whole notion of animal liberation is completely retarded! animals lacking the ability to organise themselves can never achieve liberation, it will always be animal welfare, the mimising of animal suffering.

If we took away our opression of the animals then the animals would create something that in political terms would be animal nationalism. smile

JDMF's picture
JDMF
Offline
Joined: 21-05-04
Dec 6 2004 15:17
lucy82 wrote:
Quote:
Firstly, of course animal rights person would save the baby,

seriously, JDMF, I had a massive argument once with someone who said they would save the dog..

couldn't believe it myself. and no disrespect to animal rights activists intended. i don't think that crazy woman was the norm.

true, crazy people are everywhere - i mean remember crackfixpropaganda? He might be the only contact some poor people have with someone who is against industrial animal abuse - now what kind of impression does that make!

I guess similar than to the one whose only contact with anarchist is a similar kind of guy...

revol seems to be getting words like self-emancipation and liberation mixed here and then blaming others for it! wink

3rdseason
Offline
Joined: 19-09-03
Dec 6 2004 15:21

what does self-emancipation mean?

Topic locked