University/higher ed AUT and NATFHE strike on 7th of March 2006

226 posts / 0 new
Last post
JDMF's picture
JDMF
Feb 23 2006 12:48
University/higher ed AUT and NATFHE strike on 7th of March 2006

This was mentioned on anorher thread already, but just in case there are people involved in this in one way or another, lets start a dedicated thread about it!

University lecturers and academic related staff from AUT and NAFTE unions are about to go on strike on 7th of March.
http://www.aut.org.uk/index.cfm?articleid=1527

Here are some background stuff on the press:
http://education.guardian.co.uk/higher/news/story/0,,1714057,00.html
http://education.guardian.co.uk/higher/news/story/0,,1713985,00.html

Some comms from solfeds Education Workers Network were thinking of producing some material for the strike to hand out. This is not ready yet, but would include much wider range of subjects than what the strike is about, inlcuding anarcho-syndicalist positions on things like having education workers split into 7 different unions etc.

I will keep this thread updated as new info comes through!

Admin - this thread has been locked to preserve it, archived. If you would like to add any information to it please contact us and we can unlock it for you. - Apr 2007

Steven.'s picture
Steven.
Feb 23 2006 13:04

Hmmm my bosses will both be out for that I guess, I'll be off work then so I'll miss it, which is annoying. Cos I guess I could've probably not crossed picket lines and still got paid. Still, I'll ask about it...

Steve
Feb 23 2006 13:04

If you get some stuff done can you email it to prestonsolfed@boltblue.com and we'll print some off. I'm coming down to Manchester next monday for a DA meeting. A-M in Preston is on strike next week and then refusing to mark assigments. (Actually what happens is that lecturers mark the assignments but refuse to give the university the marks)

Some lawyer in Preston is going round advising students to sue lecturers for not marking their work. Twat!

OliverTwister's picture
OliverTwister
Feb 23 2006 16:34

Students need to strike too!

Scumbag lawyers (down here pronounced "liars") are no different than scabs...

ftony
Feb 23 2006 16:52

well said. i'm striking and i'm a student.

fuck it i might start now 8)

Jacques Roux's picture
Jacques Roux
Feb 23 2006 17:00

Hmm i thought it was later than March. There was quite a good piece or 2 in London Student about it last week. Term will have finished for me by then anyway.

JDMF's picture
JDMF
Feb 23 2006 20:09

honestly, if any of you students could pop by the picket lines i'm sure the folks would appreciate it loads.

And if we get the leaflet done before that if you could give those out to students, strikers, other uni staff 8)

(need to get it done, printed and sent off though first)

Sorry.
Feb 24 2006 00:44

hah, was supposed to be doing an introduction for a seminar that day. Wonder if I'll have to tell the tutor to go fuck himself...

IanB
Feb 24 2006 00:51

A few of us from Edinburgh uni were talking about this in the pub tonight and will be at the picket lines and are trying to organise a rally of support. We're also going to be doing leafletting and postering to raise awareness among students about why there's a strike and why the students should fully support it etc...

Then again an offer might be made and there will be no industrial action.

ticking_fool
Feb 24 2006 09:32
Quote:
Some comms from solfeds Education Workers Network were thinking of producing some material for the strike to hand out.

I'd love some of those - I'll help out with them if you need it. I'm going to be picketing somewhere (not sure where yet, I work in two different universities) and I'm a bit uncomfortable with the 'boo-hoo we're not paid as much as doctors and lawyers' leaflets. The strike's about a lot more than that, and most of the yes vote (as far as I can see from talking to people I work with) was motivated by workloads and being generally pissed off at management, but if the public face of it is a bunch of relatively well paid people complaining about how badly paid they are then I can't see it going down all that well - especially with students living off about 5 grand a year.

Caiman del Barrio
Feb 25 2006 13:53

Seen zero publicity about this around college.

jef costello's picture
jef costello
Feb 25 2006 16:20

Didn't they threaten to strike 2/3 years ago and then completely caved without a hint of a fight?

I didn't realise this was only for academics, that'll explain why I haven't head anything about it.

JDMF's picture
JDMF
Feb 25 2006 16:54
Jef Costello wrote:
Didn't they threaten to strike 2/3 years ago and then completely caved without a hint of a fight?

I didn't realise this was only for academics, that'll explain why I haven't head anything about it.

it is all academic related staff which also contains people like me who are in the support staff (IT support) - though funny enough about half of the IT support is technical grade, which means they are Unison members and not taking part to the strike.

We had a two day strike two years ago, which at least in my neck of the woods was really well attended, so i dont think it is the same event you refer to, unless it flopped in your location?

Refused's picture
Refused
Feb 25 2006 17:05

I would come by but I'll be in Blackpool and I can't strike in solidarity because of the nature of my job. Well, I could, but I won't. But still, I'll be there in spirit. Refused Party Program spirit.

JDMF's picture
JDMF
Feb 25 2006 17:26
ticking_fool wrote:
I'd love some of those - I'll help out with them if you need it. I'm going to be picketing somewhere (not sure where yet, I work in two different universities) and I'm a bit uncomfortable with the 'boo-hoo we're not paid as much as doctors and lawyers' leaflets.

very true mate. Also, the leaflets that AUT usually produce only talk about academics and lecturers and support staff is left out.

Quote:

The strike's about a lot more than that, and most of the yes vote (as far as I can see from talking to people I work with) was motivated by workloads and being generally pissed off at management, but if the public face of it is a bunch of relatively well paid people complaining about how badly paid they are then I can't see it going down all that well - especially with students living off about 5 grand a year.

exactly, but to take all the issues concerning education these days would make the strike too political, which is why it would be great if we could get some material of our own out there.

JDMF's picture
JDMF
Feb 25 2006 17:29
IanB wrote:
A few of us from Edinburgh uni were talking about this in the pub tonight and will be at the picket lines and are trying to organise a rally of support. We're also going to be doing leafletting and postering to raise awareness among students about why there's a strike and why the students should fully support it etc...

this is exellent mate.

Sorry. - i think your school has always had a good turnout for this kind of things, so i think you'll be ok wink Come to the pickets & the rally mate!

refused - you scab grin Nah, this strike doesn't even cover all the uni staff - just those on academic related pay scale - actually not even all those, because some of them are in Amicus roll eyes Its so stupid its unbelievable...

Alan, it has definitely been quiet, most of the staff dont know about the strike either!!!

jef costello's picture
jef costello
Feb 25 2006 18:19

I thought scabbing was doing the work of strikers.

If they can be arsed to do pickets at work then I might not cross them.

I'd like to see them striking in support of people on clerical grades like myself.

jef costello's picture
jef costello
Feb 26 2006 14:22

ok

I won't cross a picket.

I'm also going to join the union, I'm just not sure at which workplace, or if I have to do it at both. It won't do much good but it should stop me getting sacked if I show solidarity.

Rob Ray's picture
Rob Ray
Feb 26 2006 17:15
Quote:
Alan, it has definitely been quiet, most of the staff dont know about the strike either!!!

Aw but they put it up on the website and everything...

Hopefully we'll be getting a piece in for the regional site a some point, tis also a good idea to send letters to mainstream papers this week as individuals involved in the strike attacking (edit: the university/college) and saying that there is gonna be a strike, cos it usually takes a couple days to go through the proper channels and get put in the event diaries for coverage (though obviously save your choicest quotes and most ineteresting info for any radical regional press that's about, give em a boost in the eyes of the public like wink)

Rob Ray's picture
Rob Ray
Feb 26 2006 17:18
Quote:
a large number of those who got one and we talked to agreed and didn't go

Students in not turning up for lectures shocker wink. Some of the lot at Suffolk college struck last year but there were a lot of scabs, we had someone down to cover it for easf who got told the student union was a pile of shite and refused to support them, which made quite a lot of difference in terms of impact.

Mike Harman
Feb 26 2006 17:38
Jef Costello wrote:
ok

I won't cross a picket.

I'm also going to join the union, I'm just not sure at which workplace,

If it's the same union (UNISON?) at both workplaces you'll only have to join it once, but make sure you set up a standing order instead of them both taking dues out of your wages.

Steven.'s picture
Steven.
Feb 26 2006 18:02
Catch wrote:
Jef Costello wrote:
ok

I won't cross a picket.

I'm also going to join the union, I'm just not sure at which workplace,

If it's the same union (UNISON?) at both workplaces you'll only have to join it once, but make sure you set up a standing order instead of them both taking dues out of your wages.

I did that on principle, but now think it'd be best to have it taken from wages from a practical pov cos if my account's empty I'll get charged £30...

JDMF's picture
JDMF
Feb 26 2006 18:19
Jack wrote:
AUT had a 2 day strike 18 months ago. UNISON and NATFE were cunts, and didn't support it. The result - AUT universities (basically old unis) got a much better deal, altho it kinda split the workforce. At my uni it was pretty solid tho, and UNISON members wouldn't cross picket lines.

I did a load of work on it on the 2 days, and the staff REALLY appreciated it. Even just going between the various picket lines, bringing coffee, food and encouragement was really well recieved (remember it's March and fucking cold!).

Other things we did were standing outside the main lecture building with a leaflet we'd made aimed at students, asking them not to attend scab lectures - and a large number of those who got one and we talked to agreed and didn't go. We also tried to get students to give scab lecturers shit - one of the best bits for me was when I thought some student had just ignored us, and was kinda pissed off - then 2 minutes later, we heard some shouting in the lecturer hall, and he came out with a bunch of other students in tow he'd dragged out. grin

People also put up 'lectures cancelled' signs all over outside classrooms and lecture halls, which a lot of people read and just left.

Then on the second day, we occupied the Vice Chancellors suite (the VC at our uni was head of the association of VC's, and had made a lot of anti-strike comments). Which was a load of balls, but actually quite good fun, 'cause it was a plush executive style boardroom. grin

thats beautiful stuff man, i would have been exited through the roof had some students done that over here red n black star

...instead we got SWP students selling us papers, and the front cover said "LECTURERS SHOW THEIR POWER", LOL! grin

Sorry.
Feb 26 2006 18:32
JDMF wrote:
Sorry. - i think your school has always had a good turnout for this kind of things, so i think you'll be ok wink Come to the pickets & the rally mate!

Course, you can count on it!

(sorry, I didn't reply to your email btw, my hard drive got fried recently and I lost your address)

jef costello's picture
jef costello
Feb 26 2006 18:33
John. wrote:
I did that on principle, but now think it'd be best to have it taken from wages from a practical pov cos if my account's empty I'll get charged £30...

Call the bank and get them to refund the charge. You also get to talk to irish girls with lovely accents. Seriously though you can talk your way out of overdraft/late payment fees etc if you call them up. I do it every time.

I think Catch's point was more so that I only paid once rather than twice. Plus if they take it direct they'll get a cut of my overtime.

Mike Harman
Feb 26 2006 18:38
Jef Costello wrote:

I think Catch's point was more so that I only paid once rather than twice.

yep.

Refused's picture
Refused
Feb 26 2006 22:30
Jack wrote:
JDMF wrote:
...instead we got SWP students selling us papers, and the front cover said "LECTURERS SHOW THEIR POWER", LOL! grin

Hahaha, cantdo went mental when the SWP came along in the middle of the occupation. grin

OH man. I wish I could have been there. grin

Caiman del Barrio
Feb 26 2006 22:37
Jack wrote:
Jef Costello wrote:

AUT had a 2 day strike 18 months ago. UNISON and NATFE were cunts, and didn't support it. The result - AUT universities (basically old unis) got a much better deal, altho it kinda split the workforce. At my uni it was pretty solid tho, and UNISON members wouldn't cross picket lines.

I did a load of work on it on the 2 days, and the staff REALLY appreciated it. Even just going between the various picket lines, bringing coffee, food and encouragement was really well recieved (remember it's March and fucking cold!).

Other things we did were standing outside the main lecture building with a leaflet we'd made aimed at students, asking them not to attend scab lectures - and a large number of those who got one and we talked to agreed and didn't go. We also tried to get students to give scab lecturers shit - one of the best bits for me was when I thought some student had just ignored us, and was kinda pissed off - then 2 minutes later, we heard some shouting in the lecturer hall, and he came out with a bunch of other students in tow he'd dragged out. grin

People also put up 'lectures cancelled' signs all over outside classrooms and lecture halls, which a lot of people read and just left.

Then on the second day, we occupied the Vice Chancellors suite (the VC at our uni was head of the association of VC's, and had made a lot of anti-strike comments). Which was a load of balls, but actually quite good fun, 'cause it was a plush executive style boardroom. grin

That day was AWESOME.

Is it worth trying to organise students round here?? Other than the acquaintances I've made via this site, I don't know any "radical"/leftie students (I know two Respect types but they're just confused students). I'd be up for it...even if does mean missing a seminar on Jamon Jamon.

Caiman del Barrio
Feb 26 2006 22:44

I knew the answer was yes, I just needed some encouragement. 8)

I like the idea of "LECTURE CANCELLED" signs, that's easy enough to do...even if Goldsmiths' campus takes up about half of South London.

I think the problem with our occupation was that it was purely symbolic. If there was a possibility of disrupting scabbers on campus I'd be all for it.

*Runs off to London forum to start thread*

Caiman del Barrio
Feb 26 2006 22:51
Jack wrote:
Just don't hysterically shirek SCAB at any student that goes to a lecture. tongue

Find out which staff are the SUT activists, and have a chat with them, then do a leaflet aimed at students, and get people handing them out trying to persuade people not to go to lectures.

Do you mean AUT??

Why not anything more confrontational than that??

Steven.'s picture
Steven.
Feb 27 2006 14:14
Alan_is_Fucking_Dead wrote:
Jack wrote:
Just don't hysterically shirek SCAB at any student that goes to a lecture. tongue

Find out which staff are the SUT activists, and have a chat with them, then do a leaflet aimed at students, and get people handing them out trying to persuade people not to go to lectures.

Do you mean AUT??

Why not anything more confrontational than that??

Whatever you do you should make sure you take the lead from the strikers, or get it OKed by them - or at least some strikers you're in contact with.

Topic locked