DONATE NOW TO HELP UPGRADE LIBCOM.ORG

Solidarity calls and emails for Office Angels dispute

61 posts / 0 new
Last post
Ed's picture
Ed
Apr 26 2011 08:55

Just a quick note, I emailed absolutely shitloads of times to Office Angels and a few times to OTTO.. I can't be bothered with pseudo-USI as I basically think they're a small group of mentally ill lefties who won't respond to anything (could be wrong though)..

gram negative's picture
gram negative
Apr 26 2011 15:21

Yeah, I wouldn't overlook people sending out things from their own emails. I did that myself because I saw the office angel thread before the template was made.

edit: MT, sorry, you are right. You make a valid point. Were the non-UK/US forums ever very active?

MT
Apr 26 2011 13:59

haven't I accepted that already in my first post?... rather read this http://libcom.org/forums/announcements/solidarity-calls-emails-needed-20411-19042011?page=1#comment-425355

rat's picture
rat
Apr 26 2011 18:24

I'm sending a few each day. Also if there is another picket I'll be up for it with a bit more notice.

Yorkie Bar
Apr 26 2011 18:53

Hey! SolFed members!

Yorkie Bar wrote:
Is there a contact email or anything for other people who've got grievances to get in touch, or should we say to use the contact form on the solfed site?
Ed's picture
Ed
Apr 26 2011 21:04

If it's for general enquiries, it's prob best to go through the SF main site.. for Office Angels stuff, maybe best to just stick in the South London Solfed email:
southlondonsf [AT] solfed.org.uk

syndicalist
Apr 27 2011 02:41
akai wrote:
Further, it seems to me that some people have a barrier to what they want to process from the international information - the more abstract or theoretical the better, with practical work taking a back seat. I am not surprised that Libcom is not a more widely used resource and unfortunately this type of work just moves elsewhere.

Ummm, not sure about this.I find with some of the practical stuff there are certain obstacles. I found this to be true with trying to get support for the FAU last year. I have my own speculation about international organizational competition and was disappointed that I could not organize a campaign among comrades here in the US.. When getting to other IWA sections, it gets even harder, sad to say.

Between Your Teeth's picture
Between Your Teeth
Apr 27 2011 14:11

Hey, is there going to a coordinated (inter)national day of action against office angels called by solfed? Or am i better off not waiting about and getting something sorted locally off my own back?

Frankly after 7 years on off temping in my past life i'm happy to go full tahir square on them.

Joseph Kay's picture
Joseph Kay
Apr 27 2011 14:20

In Brighton we're taking our lead from South London; if they call for nationwide/international solidarity we're ready to answer. But I think it's best to leave that call up to them so there's a proper escalation strategy etc. Potentially this could turn into a long term campaign, if it becomes clear this kind of wage theft is widespread and we get in touch with more of their victims. No need to put all our cards on the table right away imho.

Between Your Teeth's picture
Between Your Teeth
Apr 27 2011 16:18

makes sense. Hope to hear something. are the precarious workers brigade still active? anyone who can be mobilised there?

reminiscing (and derailing) i remember being placed in an NHS lab support job by Hays (http://www.reviewcentre.com/reviews83321.html for a succession of posters slating them, including loads for non payment) a few years ago that lasted about 3 to 4 months. Over that period there were three separate occasions where come Friday my weekly pay wasn't sitting in my bank account. There's absolutely no official mechanism by which the worker can challenge this sort of situation. Recruitment advisor refers you to accounts department and vice versa, the end result always being they offer to pay you the following week. The second time it happened my recruitment advisor offered to lend me the money herself i made her feel so bad. The third time i walked off site when i found out and said i wouldn't be back until i got paid. Luckily my boss advised them she wouldn't be using them to recruit temps anymore if i didn't get sorted and miraculously it did.

i also remember once my apologetic boss telling me i had to leave my admin job, as an auditor was coming down from Newcastle and they didn't have anywhere for him to sit. under capitalism i am explicitly less valuable than a desk.

I still think it's a fertile ground for solidarity unionism to blossom, especially as trade unions have no interest in recruiting temps whatsoever. if there's any take up from solfed's request for details of non payment it'd be good to get somekind of joint campaign up and running..

I see there's nothing on the AF blog on this, so i'll try and get something up tonight.

rat's picture
rat
Apr 27 2011 16:53
Between Your Teeth wrote:
it'd be good to get somekind of joint campaign up and running...

I see there's nothing on the AF blog on this, so i'll try and get something up tonight.

Excellent!

Yorkie Bar
Apr 27 2011 17:43
Quote:
In Brighton we're taking our lead from South London; if they call for nationwide/international solidarity we're ready to answer. But I think it's best to leave that call up to them so there's a proper escalation strategy etc.

If that is on the cards I can see if I can round up York Anarchists for a picket too. Worth asking anyway.

Quote:

Thanks a bunch. smile.

Joseph Kay's picture
Joseph Kay
Apr 27 2011 18:13

Yeah i'm sure if there is a wider campaign we'll be keen to do it jointly with as many groups as possible!

Chilli Sauce's picture
Chilli Sauce
May 15 2011 21:51

The definitive article on the Office Angels victory: http://solfed.org.uk/?q=solidarity-federation-to-agency-workers-together-we-can-fight-back-and-win

Steven.'s picture
Steven.
May 15 2011 23:04

Could you post that up here as well?

Chilli Sauce's picture
Chilli Sauce
May 16 2011 06:54

I will, but there could be some final changes still, so I'm holding fire. (The you can make it the lead news story wink)

MT
May 16 2011 09:01

I hope there will be no big changes. Changing an article within few hours may sound ok to you as authors, but you should keep in mind that there are people who have been already translating it and most probably won't see the changes - or they will have to put extra work into checking them. Not mentioning some may already published it...

MT
May 16 2011 14:25

Are there going to be any changes or not? Just to know concerning publication of the article in Slovak language.

Chilli Sauce's picture
Chilli Sauce
May 16 2011 16:37

Well, there's been no suggestions for changes, so go for it! Thanks, btw.

MT
May 16 2011 16:43

cool!