Pre/Post Bookfair events, inc. launch of 'Mayday' 26th-28th October

26 posts / 0 new
Last post
kiwi hirsuta's picture
kiwi hirsuta
Sep 28 2007 13:38
Pre/Post Bookfair events, inc. launch of 'Mayday' 26th-28th October

Housmans Anarchists Bookfair Weekender 07

The Anarchist Bookfair, now in its 26th year, was born when Housmans Bookshop, Freedom Bookshop and the Anarchist Book Service combined with A Distribution, to lay the foundations for the bookfair as it now is. For a period of time these four groups not only organised the bookfair, but also produced a free magazine called the New Anarchist Review.

The group also encouraged local areas to set up their own book fairs. Regretfully, apart from an excellent bookfair organised at the 1 in 12 Club, this initiative did not take off.

The first bookfair attracted a faithful audience of about 10, however with the support of many groups, including Crass, the bookfair has since gone from strength to strength. Housmans will have a stall at the fair, as it has had since day one, and to show our thanks to our many friends and supporters from over the years, we will be opening our doors for special events, both before and after the bookfair.

Friday 26th October, 6pm onwards: Launch party for new Anarchist magazine Mayday + pre-bookfair social

Mayday is a new Anarchist journal, whose first issue includes contributions from Ian Bone, Dave Douglas, Trevor Bark and many more, who will all be in attendance. Join us for a drink and a chat.

Saturday 27th October: The Fair

The shop will be open as normal, but more importantly, stop by our stall at the fair and say hello.

Sunday 28th October,12 till 6pm: After-party

Housmans will be opening up the shop especially for those who, like us, feel that one day a year just isn’t long enough. The shop will open from 12 till 6pm, for a post-bookfair get together. A nice chance to meet, chat, and check out some of our great anarchist stock, including many rarities.

http://housmans.com
Housmans Bookshop
5 Caledonian Road, Kings Cross
London, N1 9DX.
tel: 020 7837 4473
e: shop@housmans.com

Streetmap:
http://www.streetmap.co.uk/newmap.srf?x=530409&y=183055&z=0&sv=N1+9DX&st=2&pc=N1+9DX&mapp=newmap.srf&searchp=newsearch.srf

Tacks's picture
Tacks
Sep 28 2007 18:15

wa hey!

lol

Thora
Sep 30 2007 21:57

Wasn't there a bit of fuss recently with Housmanns hiring some anti-union consultancy to help them dodgily sack a load of employees?

cantdocartwheels's picture
cantdocartwheels
Oct 1 2007 03:53
Thora wrote:
Wasn't there a bit of fuss recently with Housmanns hiring some anti-union consultancy to help them dodgily sack a load of employees?

heard about this not seen anything substantial on it though. Not that it matters though in this case since its just a venue, the main problem with this is thats its a bunch of anarcho-ghetto scenester shite. Hence why so many pathetic ex-class war members are involved it it. I mean fuck me it even name checks crass.

Red Marriott's picture
Red Marriott
Oct 1 2007 17:51

But don't confuse the the board of trustees, who're responsible for the dodgy shit, with the workers they employ and who actually run the place.

Mike Harman
Oct 1 2007 18:15
Jack wrote:
Isn't the guy who does the (admittedly quite good) second hand bit downstairs a bit dodgy? An uber-LP Trot of some kind?

I think that's the guy with the website selling anarchist bookfair leaflets for a quid. Not sure if it's the same Trot Labour councillor in Hackney but I think I heard that as well.

lem
Oct 1 2007 18:28

not going to the book fair sad

Red Marriott's picture
Red Marriott
Oct 2 2007 00:41

The guy who runs the 2nd hand books downstairs is the dodgy online lefty paraphernalia dealer (though the persons behind the counter are often his employees). The Trot councillor is another bookseller who used to work there but now sells elsewhere.

Lone Wolf's picture
Lone Wolf
Oct 2 2007 03:19

The Crass namecheck/involvement gets my vote. wink circle A

Lone Wolf's picture
Lone Wolf
Oct 2 2007 03:20
lem wrote:
not going to the book fair :(

Really? sad cry

louis lingg
Oct 8 2007 08:29

These are interesting people with a long track record of involvement in serious working class politics. I'm going to see what they have to say now.

cantdocartwheels
Oct 8 2007 08:55
louis lingg wrote:
These are interesting people with a long track record of involvement in serious working class politics. .

Lol, this is a joke right

louis lingg
Oct 8 2007 13:19

roll eyes That would be you, right?

cantdocartwheels
Oct 9 2007 07:46
louis lingg wrote:
roll eyes That would be you, right?

sorry old chap i think you'll find i'm not the one wanking off ian bone and claiming trevor bark has a long history of ''serious working class politics'' laugh out loud

louis lingg
Oct 9 2007 08:02

roll eyes roll eyes Then you know very little at all my friend.

cantdocartwheels
Oct 9 2007 08:14

. Lol this is a man who even those total muppets at class war had to rush through an entirely new category of awfulness to expell. Anyways good luck with your bashing the rich march old chum,stick it to the toffs i say wot wot

louis lingg
Oct 9 2007 08:27

roll eyes So you missed the TV programmes against the monarchy that Bark did? Working with and writing for C4 and the BBC? They were great as lots of people have commented eek cool

Joseph Kay's picture
Joseph Kay
Oct 9 2007 08:45
louis ling wrote:
serious working class politics... TV programmes against the monarchy... Working with and writing for C4 and the BBC

eh?

louis lingg
Oct 9 2007 09:37

Joseph - are you not aware of those programmes?

Joseph Kay's picture
Joseph Kay
Oct 9 2007 09:45

can't say i am...

Steven.'s picture
Steven.
Oct 9 2007 09:50
louis lingg wrote:
roll eyes So you missed the TV programmes against the monarchy that Bark did? Working with and writing for C4 and the BBC? They were great as lots of people have commented eek cool

Oh my god, you just don't care about embarrassing yourself do you? The only one who has ever talked about the TV shows you apparently did is you! (and your various alter egos on the internet) And you've been banned from libcom with about 5 different usernames - get the hint, now this makes it 6.

Mike Harman
Oct 9 2007 18:21
Ret Marut wrote:
The guy who runs the 2nd hand books downstairs is the dodgy online lefty paraphernalia dealer (though the persons behind the counter are often his employees). The Trot councillor is another bookseller who used to work there but now sells elsewhere.

Thanks, no wonder I got confused.