Somalia-An Anarchy?

7 posts / 0 new
Last post
Juan Conatz's picture
Juan Conatz
Apr 29 2008 21:22
Somalia-An Anarchy?

Some 'anarcho'-capitalists see Somalia as an anarchy, but I haven't come across much anarchist perspectives on this. Yes, there is a lack of a centralized government, but different parts of Somalia have what could be considered governments and rule by warlords seems hardly anarchistic.

H
Apr 29 2008 21:40

Somalia is more a failed state turned into feudal theocracies.

Some (most / all) "an"caps are idiots.

Juan Conatz's picture
Juan Conatz
Apr 30 2008 01:18
guydebordisdead wrote:
Anarchism is created by workers organising, not the mere absense of a formal state apparatus.

um, yeah. i guess I'm asking if there is a non-'anarcho'-capitalist article/book/movie etc on the topic. It seems strange that the only country in the world without a functioning central government is completely overlooked by anarchists. There doesn't seem to be many assesments of the situation there. Is this because of ignorance or ethnocentrcity?

Demogorgon303's picture
Demogorgon303
Apr 30 2008 07:27

There was an article in World Revolution about the situation in Somalia a couple of years ago. It doesn't analyse the situation as any kind of "anarchism in practice" but as a disintegration of society wrought by decades of imperialist war.

Anarcho
Apr 30 2008 07:48

The "anarcho"-capitalist do claim it is an "anarchy", but that is only because they define "anarchy" as being purely one without a state -- lots of little competing hierarchies based on landlords and wealthy owners is fine with them. But any sensible people recognise that replacing the state with lots of landlords is hardly "anarchy". To quote Rousseau on thIs:

Quote:
"That a rich and powerful man, having acquired immense possessions in land, should impose laws on those who want to establish themselves there, and that he should only allow them to do so on condition that they accept his supreme authority and obey all his wishes; that, I can still conceive . . . Would not this tyrannical act contain a double usurpation: that on the ownership of the land and that on the liberty of the inhabitants?"

Needless to say, Rothbard (the inventor of "anarcho"-capitalism) confirms Rousseau's point (and the anarchist critique of property, as expounded by Proudhon). I've discussed this issue here That this self-contradictory and hierarchical ideology can be considered "anarchist" by some academics simply shows the low standards of academia!

I also should also point out that the "anarcho"-capitalist literature on Somalia can be a bit self-contradictory, as I explore in this old letter to Freedom.

Khawaga's picture
Khawaga
Apr 30 2008 08:05
Quote:
um, yeah. i guess I'm asking if there is a non-'anarcho'-capitalist article/book/movie etc on the topic. It seems strange that the only country in the world without a functioning central government is completely overlooked by anarchists. There doesn't seem to be many assesments of the situation there. Is this because of ignorance or ethnocentrcity?

By that token Afghanistan must have been utopia when the warlords (pre-Taliban) were ruling there, or for that matter now. Of course, Somalia is anarchic but it is not anarchist (not even by anarchist capitalist standards), a failed state to take a cue from political scientists.

If I had to choose between living in Somalia or any place where there was a state I would choose the latter.